Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain and swelling down there.....(tmi)

(11 Posts)
Allboxedin Tue 06-Sep-11 20:05:25

Hi, can anyone help me?
I am 34 weeks pregnant and we havent had any sexual intercourse recently.
A couple of days ago it got very painful down there (I think its a spot on the labia minora) and slightly itchy, it looks very red and swollen but I can't really see a cyst or a raised lump or anything. Its very irritable when I walk and the only relief I can get is by sticking a wet wipe or something down there! sad

chipstick10 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:27:47

It sounds like thrush i got it when i was pregnant with my second. It cleared up the second i had given birth, it was quite bizzare.

Allboxedin Tue 06-Sep-11 21:05:14

Thanks chip, I have midwife tomorrow actually so I will ask her.

babycham42 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:08:14

I could be way off course but could it just be an insect bite?

Bitofalurkerreally Tue 06-Sep-11 21:12:43

varicose vein? I had a some interesting painful swellings later in preganancy!

Allboxedin Tue 06-Sep-11 21:31:18

Baby, I don't think it is itchy enough for a bite, though I might be wrong, I have had a mosquito bite somewhere down there in the past! sad
Bitof- thats an interesting one, if there are veins in that part of the anatomy (I'm actually on blood thinners for past clotting problems with veins)

Starting to shudder now at the thought!

Allboxedin Wed 07-Sep-11 16:37:58

Update - Went to midwife today who sent me to the Dr who said is was an infection of the gland (batholin cyst?) Has put me on a strong dose of antibiotics and told me to go back Friday if it hasn't got better.

babycham42 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:24:54

Hope it improves soon!

ITryToBeZenBut Wed 07-Sep-11 19:05:21

You poor thing but glad you're on the antibiotics early.

I had one of those when I was in my early 20s- started small then became the size of a golfball - I kid you not- over a few days. By the time I saw the gp as I'd been away with work so couldn't go earlier, she sent me straight to a&e with a letter and I had to spend a night in hospital and have it lanced under general anaesthetic. Apparently quite common and they respond well to antibiotics. Just one of thoswe things - no rhyme nor reason for it.

Keep the area 'aired' - not tight clothes etc for next few days. I'm sure it'll clear up.

Allboxedin Wed 07-Sep-11 19:15:42

Oh Itry, Its unsightly!! (Good job DH doesnt have to look down there at the moment!) Hoping it clears up with AB's. I really don't want to have to go and have it drained and stay in hospital. sad

ITryToBeZenBut Mon 12-Sep-11 17:40:40

How are you doing, allboxedin? Cleared up? I have my fingers crossed for you.

I agree they're awful. I was mortified but got to the point where I didn't care as long as they took the pain away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now