Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What supplements might help with these PMT feelings please? I'm out of control.

(40 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 14:13:45

This has only been happening for about 6 months but about a week before my period i am seriously just being a nasty horrid person to my children and I've got to get it under control.
I used to be on the pill and took it without breaks (i.e. no week off for a bleed) for about 7 years to control a condition I have. I stopped 2 years ago and I'm guessing that it's taken this long for all the hormones to sort themselves out.

I've heard of people taking Evening Primrose oil to combat PMT but wondered if there is anything else i should consider and anything that is particularly relevant to my complete lack of patience and tolerance issue.
What happened this morning was horrible, I was screaming at the children and although they had not done what i'd asked them to do (brush their teeth) my level of over reaction was so so so huge, I am utterly ashamed of myself.

Any tips gratefully received.

TIA

liquoriceandtomatoes Wed 07-Sep-11 19:19:13

That sounds tough for you.

I've never been on the pill and my mood fluctuates like yours, I have to be hyper watchful of myself. I'd rec. complex carbs to help keep mood steady like brown rice and milled linseed helps me. Also therapy has helped me monitor my moods and think about things even when hormones play a big role.

Pannacotta Wed 07-Sep-11 19:27:58

I take Magnesium citrate and Eve Primrose oil for bad PMT and they both help a lot.

highriggs Wed 07-Sep-11 19:29:49

My sister swears by magnesium . Changed her life she said

romaniabound Wed 07-Sep-11 19:54:35

Watching this with interest... re magnesium - do you take it all month round or just for part of the cycle?

Nagoo Wed 07-Sep-11 19:57:23

watching too.

ThatllDoPig Wed 07-Sep-11 20:01:00

me too. There must be something to help out there. My pmt so bad last month I screamed and punched the kitchen floor, because I was just so sick to death of no one helping me. (there are other issues, but just lose the ability to cope with everything this time of the month) I fear I've done permanent damage to my hand.
blush sad

peggotty Wed 07-Sep-11 20:03:53

I take a combination of agnus castus, vit b complex, magnesium and eve primrose/starflower oil. I take no chances and it's belts and braces for me grin. I think they have helped but it took couple of months. I got lax about taking them a few weeks back and the pmt def got worse again.

peggotty Wed 07-Sep-11 20:04:45

I take all of them, including the magnesium all month long with no breaks.

highriggs Wed 07-Sep-11 20:12:48

Will ask my sister and get back to you. She was really bad with pmt but now is fine

thelittlebluepills Wed 07-Sep-11 20:14:13

also watching

thatlldopig hope your hand is better soon

it took me about a year to realise why everyone else in the house was being so annoying and inconsiderate for a few days each month....blush

mckenzie Wed 07-Sep-11 21:15:06

thanks very much for all these replies.

Like you thatlldopig, I smashed something but luckily for me it was just the newspaper over the side of the leather sofa. It made a lovely noise though smile. I hope your hand is okay. I'm going to hold on and see what highriggs says before rushing out to buy anything but will keep a note of those ones you've mentioned pegotty. I've moved on from the crazy lady phase to the 'give me chocolate' phase now so feeling a bit calmer but dreading next month already sad

highriggs Wed 07-Sep-11 21:23:59

Just magnesium ok from boots and if she forgets to take it then she feels bad again

highriggs Wed 07-Sep-11 21:30:23

Just to add she was really bad for 2 weeks every month , it must be worth a try to see if it works for you . Wishing you luck with it as know how completely bonkers she was , she is different woman now and even says herself what a difference it has made to her life. Don't know if magnesium is a proven medical helP but must be worth a try

highriggs Wed 07-Sep-11 21:32:02

Forgot to see she takes it every day , no break

mckenzie Wed 07-Sep-11 22:11:49

thanks very much highrigg

Pannacotta Thu 08-Sep-11 15:14:16

I take the supplements every day.
Eating well and not having too much sugar/booze helps too, though that is much more difficult than taking supplements!

coffeecoffeecoffee Thu 08-Sep-11 16:48:31

I tried everything for my PMT - magnesium, evening primrose, agnus casti. Nothing seemed to work for me. My PMT got so bad my husband actually walked out one night. I was being unreasonable, so very angry towards the DC, screaming and shouting and totally out of control. DH made me go to the doctor and I was prescribed Fluexotine (prozac) for the last two weeks of my cycle.

Worked from month one... has changed my life. AND saved my marriage and made me a nicer person to be around. Had to get over the fact it was prozac, but I was ready to try anything.

mckenzie Thu 08-Sep-11 20:55:43

thanks for sharing that coffee. I'm going to go to our local independent health shop tomorrow armed with my list and see what they have to say/offer. I need to try all these supplements first. Like you, I'd be very reluctant to take Prozac but these incidences seem to be getting harsher and harsher and more and more intolerable for all concerned and if that's what it takes, then so be.

Does it fade out as the menopause approaches does anyone know?

ThatllDoPig Thu 08-Sep-11 21:43:58

Be aware that although prozac is great, and it works, it can make you feel worse before you feel better. Talk to the doc about which bit of your cycle would bd good idea to start it.

mckenzie Fri 09-Sep-11 17:32:23

I went to a small independent health shop today and I'm pleased to say the owner actually persuaded me to buy less than I'd planned smile. that was a refreshing change.

I now have more of the multi vitamin that I was already on which has plenty of B vitamins in it and in addition I now have some Magnesium Citrate and some Starflower Oil.

I shall be rattling when I walk at this rate!

ThatllDoPig Sat 10-Sep-11 10:32:51

Please let us know how it goes! Good luck x

coffeecoffeecoffee Sat 10-Sep-11 10:59:16

Best of luck, let is know how it goes!

Tyniclogs Sat 10-Sep-11 21:49:30

My sympathies to everyone, also a sufferer on and off and to different degrees over the years. Had a really bad month earlier this year and felt suicidal. I went o my GP who wasn't that helpful and wanted me to go on prozac straight away, I was wary having taken it before and ended up filling in a chart and it really helped to see my symptoms and when they were happening. I found it was no co-incidence that I'd started a low carb diet 5 weeks before I had my worst symptoms in years and I believe diet and exercise plays a really big part in it, there is information on various PMS websites. Making sure your blood sugar is stable really helps me, making sure I'm eating healthy carbs in the week before my period. I have taken supplements but never end up remembering so never know wether they help or not. I find just keeping a track of my cycle each month and making sure I plan less stressful activities helps. Hope you feel better, its massively underated problem for so many women and their families.

mckenzie Sat 10-Sep-11 22:26:25

thanks very much for the supportive messages. smile. I think I feel a tad better just by knowing I'm trying to sort it out. I've started keeping a bit of a diary about how i feel and when and what i'm eating etc. Not a full food diary but just making a note of any rubbish really.

By coincidence there was an article in the Times Weekend supplement today about foods that are good for the overs 40s and i have made a list of the ones that are particularly helpful for hormones and will make more of an effort to eat those (sardines unfortunately were mentioned!!)

I will keep you updated but I guess I won't really know until next month at the earliest. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now