Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Snot in throat but not in nose (sorry)

(4 Posts)
BananaMontana Mon 05-Sep-11 16:21:31

I've had a cold, nothing special, just a cold. I've been left with thick snottiness but not in my nose, so I can't blow it out. It sort of hangs not far down enough to swallow (god this is gross) and every now and again I feel it coming down and all I can do is swallow it down (or throw up I suppose!). My ears feel bunged up, pop whenever I swallow or try to blow my nose, and the imbalance in my head is driving me crazy.

My question is: what can I do to remedy this? Nothing's blocked or congested so a decongestant won't help. Steaming hasnt helped either. A neti pot is totally out of the question sorry. Help!

WorzselMummage Mon 05-Sep-11 16:25:27

It's called a post nasal drip. Grim sad

It'll go eventually. Have you got a Husband you could persuade to give you a face massage? That might relieve some of the sinus gunk.

Other than that I can't recommend anything except a lot of oh so attractive hocking up of phlegm/ nose trumpeting and ear popping.

paddypoopants Mon 05-Sep-11 16:38:04

A saline spray will help if you can't do a neti pot. Use it 2-3 times a day and tip your head or do it lying with your head backwards to let the stuff run into the sinuses I get this -it's vile but nasal irrigation and drinking gallons of hot tea help.

BananaMontana Mon 05-Sep-11 17:25:47

Thanks for the advice. Oh god I cannot face saline running down the back of my throat. It's all so gagworthy. I do like the hot tea idea though smile

Also had no idea it's called that so can now google a bit anyway. Bleurgh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now