Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Understanding test results

(5 Posts)
catx2 Mon 05-Sep-11 14:32:52

Hi
Maybe not a good title but wasn't sure how to put this.

When the surgery gets results back does it say positive or negative or borderline or is it the doctor that marks them and the decides what the result is?

Just wondering as I have bloodtests before and been told by receptionist fine.

Today rang up for my recent H pylori test and she said the GP hadn't seen the test result yet and therefor couldn't tell me.

Does it mean that it's positive?

Any help greatly appreciated.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 05-Sep-11 14:38:40

Generally, tests are very subjective. Eg blood tests will show levels of various substances or chemicals in the blood. These then need to be interpreted.

So - a blood test might show that someone has a calcium level slightly higher than average. But this result might mean a variety of different causes or issues, or even no issue at all, just that it is higher than average.

But in your case, the GP has not seen the result yet so the receptionist has nothing to tell you! Whereas wit the blood tests, the GP had seen then and left a message in your file to say 'ok', The receptionist shared this message.

beautifulgirls Mon 05-Sep-11 18:52:10

Receptionists are not allowed to give out any test information until the GP has seen them and commented about things and made any decisions about further tests/appointments etc etc. Don't be alarmed by her lack of information for you, it simply is that she is following the rules.

Hope everything is ok.

catx2 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:57:55

Thank you for your replies, I understand now.

Will call again tomorrow to check if GP has looked at the result.

Sidge Mon 05-Sep-11 19:00:39

Where I work the results come in from the lab electronically.

The GP views the result on the computer and adds an annotation, so it might be 'Normal - No Action' or 'Needs to see GP' or 'Needs to see Nurse'. For urgent results, or maybe where a blood result means that medication dosage needs changing the receptionist is told to phone the patient rather than waiting for the patient to call for their results.

Receptionists aren't allowed to give patient's their results, either in person or over the phone, until they have been viewed and annotated by the GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now