Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stopping smoking - any encouragement welcome!

(34 Posts)
Nyx Sun 04-Sep-11 23:43:32

I am going to stop smoking as of tomorrow morning. I have stopped quite a few times before, twice for over a year (I know - I'm an idiot for going back to it). My main problem is that DH smokes and I find it very, very hard not to cheat when I know he's got cigs in the house.

DH is going to stop tomorrow as well. I hope that this time we will both quit, but ...I shouldn't need him to stop - I should just do it myself and deal with it if he smokes again. I have been using him as someone to blame, I suppose.

Well, I am posting this for some support just in case! Is there anyone else who wants to stop smoking? Or anyone who will check in now and again to encourage me if I feel weak? I can do this, I know I can. I hate the way that although I am certain right now that I have really made the decision, my mind starts to go all machiavellian on me after a day or two and starts whispering excuses or 'reasons' to have just one angry I know there is no such thing as 'just one'.

Sorry for the essay! I have been havering about pressing 'post' on this but I really do want to not smoke ever again. So I'm going for it. Wish me luck please!

Anxietyone Mon 05-Sep-11 10:55:49

Good Luck!!! Ive been stopping and starting for over a year now...Pathetic isn't it....6 weeks was the longest.

My Dh smokes and i find it hard to stop when he still smokes...He will not even try to stop : (

Ive been working up to stopping again in the morning, patches at the ready.

I really hope you do it this time, people say it takes a few trys so much luck to you.

Nyx Mon 05-Sep-11 11:02:59

Thank you Anxietyone! I have patches in the cupboard but am going to try without (you know, the Allen Carr easyway method). Good luck to you too grin

BamBam21 Mon 05-Sep-11 12:15:11

Good luck Nyx and Anxietyone! I have just stubbed my last cig out, but am not feeling terribly positive at the minute.blush I have put a patch on.

My problem is that I'm 17wks pg, and just have to stop, but I'm finding it so hard and have no willpower. DP smokes too, but he is trying too. We've both been trying off and on since we found I am pg. As soon as one of us gives in, the other does too.

Good luck, and please send some willpower my way!smile

festi Mon 05-Sep-11 12:19:21

good luck every one. can I just say

champix

champix

champix grin

I have not smoked for 4 weeks and im 6 weeks in on my champix, it has been so easy, I have tried hundreds of times with every method under the sun and failed, so I know how you feel OP. But the champix has been great.

Anxietyone Mon 05-Sep-11 13:04:23

My mate tried Champix and got very depressed and emotional on it. I have heard there are other side effects too. Just puts me off trying it.

Fine if it works for you...Well done....Here's too a smoke free life!!! : )

KilledBill Mon 05-Sep-11 13:24:39

I may come and join you - I have also stopped before and like an idiot went back, my fear of weight gain stops me quitting mainly,I can go to the stop smoking clinic but not for another week so im debating whether to just stop now by myself or wait?

The mad thing is, part of the problem was I found it too easy to stop. So I thought id find it easy to stop again.

confusedandsilly Mon 05-Sep-11 13:28:43

I gave up smoking 4 months and a half ago using Allen Carr seminar, I highly recommend it !

festi Mon 05-Sep-11 13:52:45

I was worried aswell anxietyone, but it has been great for me, my sis inlaw had a terrible time and had to stop taking it. They moniter you well if experiencing any side effects.

Nyx Mon 05-Sep-11 13:57:17

Hello everyone - I'm so glad I'm not alone. I have been finishing off the cigs I already had in the house, and am about to stub out the last one. I've told dd (5) that I'm stopping and she will keep me toeing the line, I'm certain. Although having someone go on about it is more likely to make me want one.

I stopped on Champix before and it was amazingly wonderful. However, my doctor won't give me more until I go to a stop smoking clinic. I work part time and have DD and am not an organised person...I haven't ever managed to get round to it. Plus, I know I can stop without it so I keep thinking I should just not bother.

Am picking up Allen CArr book (again...should know it off by heart by now)

Good luck everyone!

festi Mon 05-Sep-11 21:14:35

can I just ask...

AIBU to go round and knock my neighbours out if they slam a door once more. All because dd has lost the bloody wonderweb and its going to piss down in the morning so she wanted to wear her trousers and was sooo excited about wonderweb she will be devistated if I dont find it, and she is fast asleep so I cant ask, and looking for it has made me really want a fag?

Figgyroll Mon 05-Sep-11 21:23:54

DS1 was a light smoker -up to 6 a day - but was keen to stop. He has Nicorette gum and joined the online website. You put in your details, how much you smoke and how much gum you use and it encourages you, gives you tips to get over any cravings as well as tells you how much money you've saved (a massive incentive to giving up). He's not touched a cigarette for 2 weeks now.

clottedcream Tue 06-Sep-11 13:55:36

I really dont want this to come across the wrong way and I dont by any means want to point the finger.

I know through friends how very, very hard it is to quit smoking so understand.

My Dad has smoked all his life and has just recently been diagnosed with lung cancer. Luckily it has not spread therefore they are going to try to remove it, they will have to go through the front of his chest and most probably have to move some muscle and will remove around 50% of his lung. If they can not get to it they will go through the back but will have to break his ribs to get to it.

The team around him are fantastic, marvellous cant do enough and the before and after care is outstanding, however have just been told this amazing dept is being ousted by the NHS cutbacks and will no long exist from October. So for future patients they will not have this support team which has got us through the last few terrible months.

It breaks my heart to see the most intrusive procedures that my Dad has had to go through and the worse is still to come.

He is old school and smoking was "in his day" a way of life, hobbie, re-creation...everyone did it. He is still in this mind set but us "youngsters" have the information to hand.

Like I said this is not meant to sound cynical just wanted to share this with you

clottedcream Tue 06-Sep-11 13:56:29

Also meant to say I wish you all good luck in reaching your goal

Nyx Tue 06-Sep-11 14:09:24

I want to hide but I started this thread and am delighted that others are writing how they are getting on (festi, did you have a fag or did you find the wundaweb stuff??) so I am going to be honest. I haven't stopped yet. Argh. I am going to start again tomorrow. And this time I will put a patch on.

Am at work so can't write much! Good luck to everyone.

festi Tue 06-Sep-11 16:11:37

Clotted my mum died of lung cancer when I was just 22 so over 10 years ago and I still didnt give up untill now, I wish you and your dad all best and hope you all find the strenghth to get through this terrible journey. So sad about the cut backs.

NXY dont give up trying you are still doing well, each day at time and all that. I found the womder web so no fag, but did realy want to cry.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 07-Sep-11 10:28:08

I am on day two of Champix. I am going to cessation classes as my LHA won't give the drugs without seeing someone. I had to wait for six weeks for my notes to get to the GP.
I've just had a ciggy and noticed it tasted odd. I didn't really enjoy it so maybe the drugs are working [fingers crossed]

poorbuthappy Sat 10-Sep-11 14:42:00

I've taken my first champix this morning and I feel quite weird. Not necessarily in a bad way (probably would have paid good money in college to achieve this!) and also have horrendous backache. Can it affect you so quickly or I making it up? grin

chopchopbusybusy Sat 10-Sep-11 14:58:55

I am on week 9 of champix - week 7 of not smoking. It did make me feel a bit odd and feeling a bit sick at first. Since stopping smoking though I've felt fine unless I take it on an empty stomach. I have stopped a few times before. During pregnancy and a couple of other times. I've always made the mistake of thinking I can have a 'social' cigarette. I'm determined this time not to relapse. I think the smoking ban will help because a (rare) trip to the pub won't make me want to smoke any more. Good luck to you all!

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sun 11-Sep-11 22:51:13

how you all doing?

Nyx Sun 11-Sep-11 22:57:37

Not particularly well in my case. I'm smoking again today. I have no excuses - however I really want to not smoke any more and will start (yet) again tomorrow. I refuse to give up on giving up - I've done it before and I can do it again.

The patches are still in the cupboard - I just don't get on with them, they fall off (I must have weird skin or something!)

chopchopbusybusy Sun 11-Sep-11 23:25:49

Nyx, you stopped before using champix. Can you really not spare some time to get to the stop smoking clinic? There are a few in my local area, including a pharmacy, which is obviously open a lot of hours. It's worked for you before and so if you're motivated to stop it looks like the best option.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sun 11-Sep-11 23:27:50

cellotape them on!

StealthPolarBear Sun 11-Sep-11 23:31:58

OP you can do it. Please don't let any set backs stop you doing what you ultimately want to do - they are just set backs on your road to being a non smoker.

Can you get a huge "non-smoker in training" sticker for your car? grin

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 12-Sep-11 07:14:15

On day six of champix and feel as if I am ready to be a non smoker. I just don't fancy a ciggy. The past couple of days I've had 3 or 4 which is a huge reduction from my normal 20-30 grin.
My only side effects have been really vivid dreams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now