Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lower stomach pains - the GP has panicked me a little

(5 Posts)
electra Sun 04-Sep-11 22:59:30

He started asking if I have a family history of bowel cancer! My symptoms are gripey pains in the very lowest part of my abdomen on the left mostly. It feels prickly a bit like when I had my coil fitted. I'm also suddenly bloated but this comes and goes.

No real change in bowel habit, no blood that I've seen. No weight loss (in fact I've put on half a stone!)

Finally he concluded it's probably IBS which I've had before but the pains feel different from before.

Do any of you get pains like this and should I be worried?

electra Sun 04-Sep-11 23:00:08

At first I was concerned it was my ovaries but he didn't seem to think it was that.

catx2 Sun 04-Sep-11 23:27:20

Hi.
I have had IBS for many years and the pains you are describing are very common IBS symptoms. If there is no change in bowel habit then I would say there is no need to worry to much about it right now.
Did you get prescribed anything to help with the pain? Peppermint oil capsules and Buscopan are both very helpful for me when I get this type of pain.
Could it be that you are just slightly constipated?

electra Sun 04-Sep-11 23:32:00

Yes he's given me an anti-spasmodic, perhaps I should take it. I don't think I am constipated. But I've been to busy to pay a huge amount of attention to it. Thanks for your reply.

catx2 Mon 05-Sep-11 07:03:53

Take the anti- spasmodic, it well help you.
If you are stressed ,(maybe you think that you aren't but you said you had been very busy) you can get stomach pain and it can also cause constipation.

I ended up in hospital before I found out I had IBS because the pains were so bad. When they told me I was constipated I was very surprised. But when I thought about it I realised I had been so busy I hadn't even realised.

I know it is difficult not to worry. I've been so sure my problems are bowel cancer as my IBS been playing up since last Nov. My GP keep telling me it is quite normal for people with IBS and especially if you are stressed and a worrier (like me).
I have now been refered to go and have it checked out.
Take the tablets and give yourself a few days and hopefully you will feel better. Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now