Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help - stepfather who is type 2 diabetic has flu - what to do? He looks in a really bad way.

(6 Posts)
limetrees Sun 04-Sep-11 20:20:37

Can anything be done to help him? My mum had this flu and was ill for about 8 days and it did go away on its own leaving her very tired, but SF is diabetic and less fit and healthy than mum. He is very unsteady on his feet, shaking, has not eaten today, sweating literally drenching himself and really feeling and looking terrible.

We don't know whether he should go to doc/hosp? Can they do anything?

jalopy Sun 04-Sep-11 20:43:12

Limetrees, if he's dehydrated, not eating anything and unable to monitor his blood sugars then I suggest he needs to be checked out in A & E as soon as possible.

limetrees Sun 04-Sep-11 21:06:49

Thanks v much, will tell my mum

Northernlurkerr Sun 04-Sep-11 21:13:14

Yes absolutely take him to hospital before he runs in to real trouble. He may need IV fluids etc.

dilbertina Sun 04-Sep-11 21:21:23

I have type 1 diabetes. His symptoms could be a sign of either very high or low blood sugars. Given that he has been ill it is far more likely his blood sugars are very high. This could potentially be very dangerous. For the future he really should have a blood sugar meter (you can buy one from chemist very cheaply), but for now, yes, get him checked out ASAP. If his blood sugars are high they will inject insulin and stabilise his blood sugar. You should not ignore this, he should be assessed quickly. If his blood sugar is dangerously high this is serious.

KlingersOnTheStarboardBow Sun 04-Sep-11 21:26:24

I agree he needs to be seen as soon as possible. If you dial 999 and speak to the ambulance service they will send help to you, they even have doctors in rapid responce vehicles to stop taking people directly to A&E.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now