Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

blood glucose of 2.9 an hour after breakfast - what might this be?

(60 Posts)
anothersoddingnamechange Sun 04-Sep-11 17:45:41

All I could get from Dr Google is that I must secretly be stealing someone's insulin. I'm not.

Basically, I gave birth two months ago and have been feeling ill ever since, and have had endless blood tests done. Unless now, all that came back was a bit of anaemia. Throughout pregnancy, all my bloods were fine, I didn't develop any symptoms of GD apart from being thirsty and my baby was a healthy weight. I don't know exactly what I weigh but I've always been a size 8-10.

Could I be developing diabetes? Or merely hypochondria??

If you were developing diabetes your blood sugar would be high rather than low. 2.9 does sound low for an hour after food (normal range would be above 4). What did you eat for breakfast before testing?

You could possibly have hypoglycemia but I would have a chat with your GP.....especially as you're feeling ill too.

Footle Sun 04-Sep-11 20:14:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 04:49:11

I had a large bowl of sultana bran, a pear and a cup of coffee.

So what could have caused such a hypo?

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 05:50:38

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS HERE AND GO TO THE DOCTORS TODAY!

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 07:39:57

Er, sorry.

I've got an appointment for Thursday, which is the soonest I could get.

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 07:49:20

I would go today - that is an emergency by any stretch of the imagination a blood sugar of 2.9 needs immediate attention. Do something today please.

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 08:10:12

Will ring and see if I can get an urgent appointment.

Why is it an emergency?

Footle Mon 05-Sep-11 08:14:32

Footle Mon 05-Sep-11 08:15:15

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 08:25:36

Good point footle - very good point

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 08:29:42

Oh shit.

Blood test was done last week at lab so probably legit.

But no, I wouldn't drive anyway. The parking set-up is so dismal that it's easier to get the bus there.

ellisbell Mon 05-Sep-11 08:35:21

don't panic too much - tests do get mixed up in labs. However I'm surprised your gp hasn't asked to see you. If you have any problem getting to see him some pharmacies sell blood sugar meters at around 10 pounds that would allow you to see if you have a problem now.

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 08:38:28

If it was done at a lab why on earth were you not called back immediately? That is low - really very low indeed (my dd has fits is she is that low)

Make sure you eat regularly, not sugary stuff but bready/starchy stuff - Get an HBa1c test done - this will give an underlying picture of how your bloods have been for the few weeks previous to now - also you need to have a few blood sugars done at different times of day and keep a note of how much carb you have eaten and at what time as that will help to pinpoint the problem.

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 08:47:36

I don't know why I wasn't called back immediately - do you have any ideas? I only even got the result when I did because I rang the GP for something else, and it was sort of 'oh by the way whilst you're on the line could you make an appointment in a week or so for a repeat blood test' type thing.

But given that it was pure starch which seems to have caused (or failed to prevent) the 2.9 level - how will eating more help?

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 08:50:57

A lot of starch cannot cause a low blood sugar - of course it should prevent it - if you are having difficulty maintaining a blood sugar then eating regularly is the only thing you can do - if you do not eat you could have serious problems

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 08:55:26

Will keep eating, at least.

I've spoken to the surgery and they can only do tomorrow afternoon. Better than thursday, anyway, I suppose.

ellisbell Mon 05-Sep-11 09:03:14

If you have a Lloyds nearby may be worth spending a few pounds www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/freestyle-freedom-lite-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-13388 Boots have one at a similar cost. The replacement test strips are expensive but you'll be presrcibed them (and a meter) if needed.

Meanwhile you need to be a diet that contains slow digested sugars. This gives some advice at the end women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/body_and_soul/article3503845.ece

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 10:38:42

Thanks. Thats helpful. I've now started getting a bit shaky and finding it hard to stand up. I rang the GP surgery again and one of the doctors is going to ring at half 1. Thank you all.

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 10:43:44

Reading the second link and wondering if that would explain the mood swings. My poor poor dh.

beautifulgirls Mon 05-Sep-11 12:21:08

If you are shaky find something sugary and eat it now, then call a friend to take you to A&E. Dont mess with low blood suger, esp where cause unknown. At the very least tell the GP you have to see a nurse asap for a glucose check.

pinkytheshrinky Mon 05-Sep-11 12:36:52

Yes agreed, not something to mess with. And please if your blood sugars are normal when you have the test (which they would well be if they catch it right) please do not accept this there being no problem - clearly you need monitoring over a period to see what happens

Personally I would go and buy a blood sugar monitor from the chemists and do them every hour throughout the day - also please do have a BIG snack before you go to bed

anothersoddingnamechange Mon 05-Sep-11 13:02:35

Thanks. I've spoken to a doctor who was very nice but said there wasn't anything she could do until I've had the bloods re-done, which the surgery can't do until tomorrow. I wish I could have been more assertive, but I kept getting confused and losing my train of thought and don't think I came across at my best. But she did say - and wisely, I think - to make sure I'm never alone with the DCs, so I'll see what I can arange with neighbours.

I'll go and buy a blood sugar monitor when I go to tomorrow's appointment. With the best will in the world, I can't see myself making it out today. Everything is looking slightly fuzzy and I'm feeling all unsteady.

And in terms of the pre-bed snack - I always go to bed ASAP after evening meal anyway.

another it sounds like you should be heading for a&e. Call a taxi and go. If your blood sugar keeps dropping you could find yourself fitting or in a coma.

Millie1 Mon 05-Sep-11 14:02:35

Agree with last poster - if you are feeling really unsteady and fuzzy headed, you need to be seen now. Can someone look after DCs whilst you get to a&E ASAP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now