Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone who has had their gallbladder removed answer a couple of questions please?

(10 Posts)
Shutupanddrive Sun 04-Sep-11 16:56:08

Hi I have been on the waiting list to have my gallbladder removed for a while now. The hospital have phoned me up to say they have had a cancellation and I can have the op on wed! The only problem is DP is away on a stag do and won't be back until very late Thursday.
We have 2 dc's aged 5yrs and 16months. My mum has offered to have them wed day and night as I'm not sure what time I will be out etc. So my questions are how much am I likely to be able to do after the op? Will I be able to lift ds2 into his cot? Drive the car? Or am I going to be stuck in bed for days? Any info greatly appreciated smile

gingergran Sun 04-Sep-11 17:15:10

depends partially on whether they can do it by keyhole surgery. i had mine done this way and recovery is much quicker. i remember having bad pain in my shoulder afterwards which is apparently trapped air. wouldn't suggest trying to cope by yourself after surgery either way however as it will delay your recovery time substantially

Shutupanddrive Sun 04-Sep-11 18:03:52

Thanks for reply yes I think it is keyhole surgery. I have pre-op tomorrow so will find out a bit more then I suppose. Ds1 will stay in my mums for few days anyway as she lives right next to his school and will save me driving him there and back. Just wondering more about how I will cope with ds2 really as my mum has to work. I do have an aunt I can ask, so maybe that is the best option?

stomp Sun 04-Sep-11 19:15:16

trying to remember what i was told when i had mine out...... you must have someone at home with you if you are discharged the same day because of the anaesthetic and risk of bleeding, you are not going to be able to drive for about a week, and should not lift anything for 7 to 10 days, lifting above your waist is going to take a bit longer- probably 4 to 6 weeks. I think you’ll going to need help with two children at home.

Kandinsky Sun 04-Sep-11 19:22:42

Recovery is quick but not that quick. You should not be looking after children that young for at least a few days. Although it is keyhole surgery you will be sore and have stitches in a number of places so shouldn't be driving for at least a week. Hope all goes well.

EdnaKrabappel Sun 04-Sep-11 19:27:43

Hi - would agree with others, you should have someone there. I stayed in for 2 nights, I felt rubbish the day after and the trapped air is def painful. I was also v nauseous and the anti-sickness drugs made me sick!

This was with keyhole - after the first couple of days it was pretty quick recovery but I had parents staying to help out with ds who was 2 at the time. Get your aunt to come and stay? Then you can do stuff with your ds but she can take over if he gets too much or at bathtime etc.

Shutupanddrive Sun 04-Sep-11 19:58:43

Thank you everyone, I think my mum or aunt will have them for another night if needed I just miss them when they are not here! The last few times I have been in hospital (broken ankle and another op on it to remove metal work) I have been really sick afterwards. The anaesthetic or morphine made me throw up for hours afterwards. I can't take strong painkillers at all they just make me puke!

Neverlandpirate Sun 04-Sep-11 23:08:08

Make sure you check with your car insurance company about driving. My insurance wouldn't cover me until 6 weeks after the op- although my Dr had said I was ok to drive when I felt comfortable to have to do an emergency stop.

I was very sore and had a very tender tummy for about a week. There was no way I felt able to lift my dd even if I had wanted to.

My dr did advise me no heavy lifting for 6 weeks as I could cause a hernia. The advise was not to lift anything heavier than a full kettle until my post-op check (6 weeks later).

If I had had a desk job my gp said I could have returned after two weeks (but as I'm not a desk job worker I had to stay off longer).

Hope the op goes well, and make sure and ask as many questions as you want answered at your pre-op. Also if you have experienced nausea before with anaesthetics or pain killers make sure and tell the anaesthetist when he/she sees you as they can gve you extra anti-sickness medications along with your pain killlers etc.

I also have been very sick with anaesthetics before, but my anaesthetist gave me a wonderful 'cocktail' of anti-sickness drugs, and this time I wasnt even the slightest bit queasy...so I was glad I had mentioned it to him.

Mrsfluff Sun 04-Sep-11 23:12:28

I wasn't allowed todrive for 2wks after. Whilst recovery is quick, I wasn't able to stand very straight or walk very far for a couple of days.

Shutupanddrive Mon 05-Sep-11 07:03:14

Thank you for replies, and I will definitely mention the anti sickness drugs when I go later

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now