Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you cause a food intolerance?

(9 Posts)
MonkeyJungleConga Sat 03-Sep-11 21:36:21

If you don't eat a food for a while can you develop an intolerance for it?

nightcat Sat 03-Sep-11 21:39:42

yes, probably, esp in case of foods that are known to cause intolernace, eg containing proteins that the body could potentially recognise as "foreign"

MyCatHasStaff Sat 03-Sep-11 21:41:42

I don't know a great deal about it, but the book I'm reading atm says you are likely to develop an intolerance to a food you have often, rather than seldom. What food are you thinking of?

MonkeyJungleConga Sat 03-Sep-11 21:42:24

Dairy. Specifically butter.

kimdeal Sat 03-Sep-11 21:42:54

Then again, you can also get an intolerance if you overeat a particular type of food (e.g. toast, toast, and maybe some more toast. At every meal, say when you were in your 20s... not that I would know, of course.)

MyCatHasStaff Sat 03-Sep-11 21:43:41

If you're intolerant to an ingredient in the butter, you could have been having that ingredient frequently iyswim.

thisisyesterday Sat 03-Sep-11 21:44:16

well.. this kind of happened to me

i stopped eating egg and dairy when ds2 was tiny as it affected him.
he is now nearly 4 and not breastfeeding any longer and i still can't eat either, or only in very small quantities or it makes me ill

but, i do wonder if i have always had an intolerance and my body had just grown used to me consuming these things. I was just like ds2 as a baby... cried ALL the time, all the symptoms of an intoerlance but it was never picked up .
even as an adult I used to feel sick and bloated a lot but never really thought about intolerances.

so i wonder if in my case cutting it out then made it come back worse when i reintroduced it.

MyCatHasStaff Sat 03-Sep-11 21:46:06

If you cut out something you are intolerant of, you feel better, but get used to feeling better, so when you introduce that food again, you really notice the effect it has.

MonkeyJungleConga Sat 03-Sep-11 21:49:15

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now