Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

3 days post copper coil insertion - is bad tummy pain normal?

(8 Posts)
traceface Sat 03-Sep-11 20:04:57

Hi,
I had a copper coil fitted on Wednesday morning, had some bleeding but was pretty much painfree. Thursday a little bleeding but completely comfortable - no pain at all. Thursday evening started with some pain - felt quite like wind pain but didn't ease with trumps or poo blush. Friday much worse, tender to press abdomen, hurts to straighten up. Woke in the night with the pain. Today (Saturday) a bit worse again, pain going round to my back a bit but mainly round tummy button and below. I was advised that I could have 3-4 days of period type pain, but to get checked out if it was worse or constant, so rang OOH GP today - nice lady doc said to go and get checked out. Turned up and saw male doc, who made me feel stupid for going, saying "did you not know to expect pain after having the coil?". He didn't check my temp or pulse, just said it was normal.
Is he right? Should it be this sore? Has anyone had this after coil insertion?

I've posted this in Famiy Planning too but thought it might get noticed here more!

Thanks for helping xxx

badgerbrisket Sun 04-Sep-11 16:21:11

I had a copper coil last year, I wanted to persist with it for its pro's but eventually had to have it taken out due to having VERY long and painful periods, when not on period could feel it was there when I was trying to do stomach excersizes, to be honest it was terrible experience and I wish I hadnt kept it in for so long (four months)
My DP just uses condoms now.

ps(it didn't hurt at all having it taken out.)

Nagoo Sun 04-Sep-11 16:23:01

I've had two fitted and nothing like this.

Not normal in my experience (I also have a copper coil). I really don't think your stomach should be tender to touch. I would make an appointment to see your usual GP to get checked.

FleurTing Sun 04-Sep-11 18:36:38

I remember when I had my first coil fitted getting such awful pain I felt as though I was in labour, to the point where I almost returned to the doctor to ask to have the coil removed, Fortunately the pains subsided after a couple of days. Keep a check on your temperature though and your vaginal discharge in case you have an infection.

southeastastra Sun 04-Sep-11 18:38:15

mine hurt for days, like i was sitting on an umbrella grin it went off took a week or so, think everyone is different. it's fine now 8 years later shock blimey maybe i should change it

GloriaVanderbilt Sun 04-Sep-11 18:40:20

I think you would qualify for a second opinion. It could be an infection or have perforated something. (sorry)

better to find out now than later. He should at least have examined you.

traceface Sun 04-Sep-11 20:24:00

thanks everyone. I think it feels a bit better today - or I'm getting used to it! But I have been hot and cold today, so I will ring my GP or family planning where I had it put in tomorrow to talk it over. Thanks for the advice. good to know this works well for some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now