Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Educate me about the very unusual cast we saw on a little girl today

(13 Posts)
bibbitybobbityhat Fri 02-Sep-11 17:15:28

Was out shopping with dd (10) and ds (7) and we saw a little girl, probably about a year or 18 months old, in her pram, with both legs in a cast and a pole between them holding the legs apart. It looked so extreme and ds, who is very sensitive, felt really sad for the little child and is still talking/worrying about it now.

I'd like to tell him how it would be helping her, what problem it is that she might have, and let him know that she will be fine (hopefully).

KirstyJC Fri 02-Sep-11 17:17:00

Isn't that something to do with hip dysplasia?

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 02-Sep-11 17:17:14

I think it's a problem with clicky hips, and it's only temporary afaik

Moulesfrites Fri 02-Sep-11 17:17:35

Could it have been club foot? I think I saw a docu about this once and it sounded similar.

AbbyLou Fri 02-Sep-11 17:18:01

My friends ds had Perthes Disease which is a disease of the hips and he had to wear one of those for about 2 years poor thing. He's totally fine now though and doesn't really remember much about it.

KirstyJC Fri 02-Sep-11 17:18:35

Hmm, not sure now - I found this on wiki but I think I have seen the ones you mean and they are different to this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_dysplasia_(human)

AnnoyingOrange Fri 02-Sep-11 17:18:35

hip problems

article here news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8560792.stm

AMumInScotland Fri 02-Sep-11 17:18:48

It sounds like a clicky hip to me, though the baby I saw with one was only a few months old IIRC. Congenital hip displacement is the proper word, if that's what it was. They have to keep the legs at that angle to sort the hips out. If its that, she'll be fine.

3littlefrogs Fri 02-Sep-11 17:19:32

She has congential disclocation of her hip joints. She will have to stay in the cast until she has grown enough to stabilize the joints.

All babies are supposed to be screened for "clicky hips" at birth, and 6 weeks, and at subsequent developmental checks, so that they can be treated early.

She will be fine.

It is good that it has been picked up.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 02-Sep-11 18:14:31

Thanks all. You've got to love Mumsnet. I remember ds being checked for this at 6 weeks. Will tell him that the little girl is going to be fine. There's a big chance we will see her out and about again as we were on our local High Street. Her casts were a v groovy purple colour smile.

nightcat Fri 02-Sep-11 18:59:57

cast definitely temporary and afaik no long term problem, my niece had that and she is now 20+ with no probs at all. I remember seeing her and was shock but the family were not that concerned as knew it was short-term

JellyBelly10 Fri 02-Sep-11 19:42:06

My son had to this after having surgery earlier this year, and he's 6. It's called a broom-stick plaster cast (for obvious reasons!) and was bloody hard to live with both for him and us! He has Perthes and had a femoral osteotomy in January, wore the casts for about 3 months. Sincerely hope we hever have to go through that again!!

PUMBA Sat 03-Sep-11 17:40:03

Also used to treat fractured femurs in little kids after traction ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now