Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any Dentists/Dental Nurses/Teeth Experts out there?

(6 Posts)
SenoritaViva Fri 02-Sep-11 13:45:24

Went to the dentist last week who explained about acidic food eroding enamel if then brushing teeth immediately afterwards. Gave some examples of acidic food etc. But what I wanted to ask, and completely forgot was how long should one wait after say eating an apple before it is advisable to clean one's teeth.

Also any links to lists of acidic food (bit clueless really).

TIA

Grumpystiltskin Fri 02-Sep-11 20:35:26

About 30min would be fine. Acidic foods= Carbonated drinks, Fruit (& juices), cider & alcopops are the usual suspects.

twoshineyshoesahhaeyetoeye Fri 02-Sep-11 23:19:41

I always wait as long as is possible, is the best advice I can give..if your struggling for time though, then rinse your mouth out with water after eating any acidic food then wait at least 30 mins but if you can, wait at least an hour. I often (after drinking wine) rinse with water before bed then go to sleep for a couple of hours and when I wake for a loo visit do my teeth then as less risk of doing any harm....Bit anal about my teeth by the way!

SenoritaViva Sat 03-Sep-11 11:25:08

Thank you very much for your help. Looks like I'll probably be doing the school run with uncleaned teeth (shudder) but at least I might have some in my old age!

Bearskinwoolies Sat 03-Sep-11 17:03:35

I try to brush my teeth before I eat, then rinse my mouth out with water afterwards. My dentist recommended that, and it has made a big difference.

twoshineyshoesahhaeyetoeye Sat 03-Sep-11 22:09:37

bearskin that is what I do also sometimes.....when needed, like at breakfast time before school run, then eat in peace and quiet when school run over! Def helps. Also rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking acidic foods. I do feel this simple information is not known at all generally....bit sad as can help drastically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now