Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Atopic (I think!) eczema in 10 year old - your suggestions for creams etc please?

(9 Posts)
Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 17:44:19

My ten year old has always been intermittently prone to eczema-y areas of sore, itchy red skin, and this summer has it under one armpit: I think it's partly because she's starting to get a bit pubertal (shock) and is a bit sweatier under there. I'd bought her some deodorant but have suggested she stop using it for a bit in case that's not helping, although she says it was like that before.

(stupidly, I can't remember the order there!).

It's quite itchy, and she's used normal E45 and the E45 itch cream, but neither seems to be helping.

Alongside trying the obvious (I'll try some sensitive skin washing powders, maybe?), can anyone recommend any creams/body washes/lotions/potions which might be good?

(I was tempted to put 'AIBU to ask about dd's eczema, but I'm being good and putting this in health - just hope I get a few replies that way wink)

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 18:19:49

Knew I should have put it in AIBU!

bilblio Wed 31-Aug-11 19:26:05

I find the E45 itch cream the best thing ever when I'm itchy. But because it's in her armpits she'll need to let it soak in and properly dry or it's likely to be even more uncomfortable.

For day to day use I use emulsifying ointment from the chemists. A HUGE tub costs less than £2. But I get excema on my hands, not my armpits. My hands are always worse when I'm hot, so under the armpits must be horrible. Poor DD.

You can use the emulsifying ointment as a soap too. I'd avoid any other body washes, soaps etc as they'll just make it worse. With the ointment you use a small amount and it lathers up with water. Then make sure she dries really well, put some E45 on and let that dry well too.... then I'd probably be inclined to find the mildest deodorant for sensitive skin you can get and put a gentle spray of that on too... I'm saying spray because again it will dry quickly.

If you've tried a few options though a trip to the GP might be best.

For wash powders I can only use Ecover, Surcare... or I've just discovered Method. Other people swear by Persil Original Non-bio but I'll stick with the 3 that work for me... and are also environmentally friendly. smile

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 20:01:04

Thank you, Biblio, that's really useful.
I must admit I have got into the habit of bio washing powder, but it would probably be worth trying her washing in non-bio in one of the brands you mention: especially as term starts next week and I don't want her itching all day!.

Thanks smile

pointydog Wed 31-Aug-11 20:07:48

I'd definitely change ot a non-bio, see if that makes a difference.

Don;t put any deodorant on the affected area for a while. Have you got an emollient shower wash like emulsiderm or dermol? They make a big difference with keeping the skin soft so helps prevent dry cracking skin.

You can buy 1% hydrocortisone over the counter, I believe, so you could try some of that to try to clear it up.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Wed 31-Aug-11 20:11:41

Use a non-bio detergent, and stop any perfumed toiletries - soap, shower jel, deodorant etc.
HC45 is a good topical cream to use, although you must be sparing with it.

osd Wed 31-Aug-11 20:19:52

Ok my ds 2.5 has eczema and icthyosis, we use hydrochortisone ointment but as to being the armpit if its infected you will need something like fucibet or dermovate. If the skins dry hydromol is good. My sons eczema is always infected and heat can bother it so no top at night or short sleeved top.

If you think its infected or you need an ointment which is quicker working you should nip to the GP they'll be cool with it, they see my ds all the time for new cream I need.

Biological washing powder is fine they did a massive study recently and proved no long, I personally find no difference and prefer biological because it cleans better.

Hope dd is better soon.

osd Wed 31-Aug-11 20:21:11

Sorry no link. Not no long.

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 31-Aug-11 20:43:05

Thank you all - I will try these ideas and report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now