Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Insomnia - please help

(11 Posts)
Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 00:09:04

I don't know how to fall asleep. I never have.

I go to bed exhausted but can't nod off. It doesn't matter what I try, nothing helps.

I'm not depressed, unusually stressed etc

I've tried:
Warm drinks
Electric blanket
Cool room
Sleep hygiene - set bedtime/ getting up, no stimulants or exercise after 2pm,
No tv in bedroom
Herbal sleep remedies

And, in the past, meds: ADs, sedatives & assorted others to help. 1 type of sleep med helped but my new GP won't prescribe Anything.

I now have permanent tinnitus which doesn't help (can't be treated, apparently)

I don't know what to do. How go I learn how to sleep?

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 05:26:24

Anyone? Please...

puzzlesum Wed 31-Aug-11 05:54:29

Have you tried white noise or self-hypnosis? I have this app for my iPhone which I find very helpful. My dh did some hypnotherapy many years ago and the therapist provided him with some relaxation/sleep tapes which were also quite useful.

What is it that stops you going to sleep? For me it used to be thoughts whirring and being unable to shut my mind down until 2 a.m. Very unwisely I used alcohol to 'help' with this and to be honest have been very surprised not to have a return to the whirring since I gave up.

Do you wait until you are exhausted to go to bed? Could that in itself be the problem?

Linking the patient UK leaflet for you although I assume you've already looked at it - no great surprises in it.

Hope you find some help soon.

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 06:01:24

Thank you. I don't know what stops me falling asleep - sometimes my mind is busy but often not & it makes no difference.

Tonight I fell asleep about 1am, woke at 2,3 and then 5 and haven't gone back to sleep yet. So I've had 4 hrs broken sleep. I'm too tired for this!

Will look at the app & try it. Haven't tried white noise recently but used to gave a fan in the room - didn't help I don't think.

Thank you so much got responding. I'm feeling miserable & lonely!

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 06:22:33

I now have 2 White noise apps that mAy be good for my tinnitus as well as the sleep problems si thank yiu for the suggestion

ive also used alcohol to 'help' in the past but more recently, have taken my DPs tramadol and/ or diazepam blush I know I shouldn't take someone elses meds but in the absence of anything else, I don't know what to do. I just need sleep.

moondog Wed 31-Aug-11 06:28:13

That's a bummer.
I've been up all night but that is damned jetlag.
I'm not a great sleeper though.

Have yopu tried each of these things for long enough?
I'd say you need to give them 4 weeks minimum.

What's the whole exercise thing?
Exercise helps me sleep.

Do you work?
Do you get out of the house enough?
Do you snooze in the day? (Fatal)

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 06:47:28

I have tried all those things for as long as I could manage - probably about 4 weeks, give or take. Longer with abusing Meds & alcohol blush

I work (ft, part time from next week) & get out everyday. I hate being cooped up and am not good at sitting doing nothing. I don't nap during the day (unless really desperate but very very rarely)

I've also tried giving up caffeine for months and that didn't help. I've had this problem since I was very young - I remember it when I was 7.

I am was jetlagged but thought but was over. tbh, it makes no difference, I'm rubbish at sleeping, jetlag or not.

moondog Wed 31-Aug-11 06:53:03

Dear me. sad
Have you tried meditation/hypnosis.

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 06:56:33

No I haven't. Do I buy a cd & do it at home or do I need a real person? In which case, how do I find one?!

moondog Wed 31-Aug-11 07:01:37

I'm not sure as have never done it, but least costly option seems the best way to start.
Why not post again for recommendations?

Grockle Wed 31-Aug-11 07:03:08

Will do, thanks moondog smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now