Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

wHAT is normal body temperature?

(15 Posts)
Iamseeingstars Tue 30-Aug-11 20:39:38

I am getting so confused with what is normal and what is high? I thought my temp had been "normal" but doctors making a fuss because they say it is high

Oakmaiden Tue 30-Aug-11 20:41:39

Um - 37 is normal core temp (if taken orally or in your ear), but 36 for a thermometer under your arm....

theyoungvisiter Tue 30-Aug-11 20:43:14

it depends where and how it's taken - normal for ears is different from temperatures taken orally etc.

Normal for oral is supposed to be 37 I believe, but I guess it depends on the person. Mine is always really low for some reason. I can hardly ever get it to 37 unless I'm running a fever -maybe it's our thermometer.

Iamseeingstars Tue 30-Aug-11 20:43:16

I thought 37 something but doctors are saying it is too high (hospital ear thermometer). I was wondering if their machines under register which is why their threshold is lower?

Oakmaiden Tue 30-Aug-11 20:43:24

Although as I recall it varies throughout the day - and of course your activity levels and environment make a difference too.

What is the temp they are concerned about?

Oakmaiden Tue 30-Aug-11 20:44:44

Hm. I am surprised. One would imagine they don't get worked up about temps without a reason though.... confused

Iamseeingstars Tue 30-Aug-11 20:45:49

37.5 37.6 etc up to 37.9. It does go over 38 as well - but they wont say what they are expecting

theyoungvisiter Tue 30-Aug-11 20:46:16

have they been monitoring it? I guess if it's suddenly peaked that might be what they are concerned about, rather than the reading on its own?

theyoungvisiter Tue 30-Aug-11 20:47:06

seriously though - if you are in hospital and under the care of docs I would trust their judgement more than unqualified me who has never even seen you.

Iamseeingstars Tue 30-Aug-11 21:08:07

But going back to my original question, what is the core temperature that is considered normal, for future reference when checking me and my kids?

cookielove Tue 30-Aug-11 21:10:45

36.5-37.5 i would say is average, however some people run lower or higher, check yourself and your children over a week or two and note it down providing your are not ill, and that will give you an average temp for you and each member of your family

winnybella Tue 30-Aug-11 21:11:30

Anything above 37.2 is considered a fever (although obv. 37.5 is a very low one) if you take anal reading. Not sure about ear thermometers, also I think it's very easy to get a wrong reading with them unless you know what you're doing.

Underarm- about 35.9- 36.6 I think. Your temp tend to peak in the late afternoon, so it won't stay the same for 24 hr iyswim.

winnybella Tue 30-Aug-11 21:12:11

Sorry, rectal reading (well, same thing) i.e. core temp.

RabbitPie Tue 30-Aug-11 22:28:54

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Iamseeingstars Tue 30-Aug-11 22:39:53

Thank you. Explains why they kept freaking out and still keeping me in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now