Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting Ears Syringed and olive oil? can any one help?

(4 Posts)
Canistaysane Tue 30-Aug-11 20:24:08

This might seem like a daft question but if you are getting your ear syringed in the next week or two are you supposed to put olive oil in?
If yes how do you go about it? Does it need to be warm?

SybilBeddows Tue 30-Aug-11 20:26:48

I've only had mine done once but I think I used a pipette and didn't bother to warm it.

youbethemummylion Tue 30-Aug-11 21:12:03

yes use olive oil every night and the syringing will be much more effective, doesn't really matter if you warm it or not, best to lie on side put oil in 'top' ear iyswim and stay on side for 10 mins so oil has time to soften wax, then do same on other side. Don't put cotton wool in ear (this might be obvious but it wasn't for me until nurse told me) as it just soaks up oil and so oil can't do its job.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 31-Aug-11 07:20:59

My DH has really waxy ears and has them syringed at least three times a year. He always puts proper ear drops in for a couple of days before, although the Doctor has pointed out to him, if he does that regularly he would avoid the syringing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now