Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does muscle really weigh more than fat???

(6 Posts)
wolveschick Tue 30-Aug-11 10:37:49

Started running 10 weeks ago. Was doing 30 mins 3/4 times p/w including a warm up/cool down couple mins walk either end. Now trying to build time up. Following low fat diet too but not losing weight. Am staying the same inches wise but really struggling to lose weight. Have lost over a stone this year but now stuck. To get to the point DOES muscle really weigh more than fat or is this a myth???

motherinferior Tue 30-Aug-11 10:39:03

Yes. Fat is bulky and light. Trust me. I'm a health journalist witha----spare-----tyre

motherinferior Tue 30-Aug-11 10:40:06

Also, you'll be doing your overall health and general tonedupness a massive amount of good with the exercise - so you're going to be looking better and fitting into your clothes and so on!

mousymouse Tue 30-Aug-11 10:42:27

yes they do.
your case is fairly common, it is still early days with your running.
try to get in some resistance/muscle training as well, especially for the core.

Grumpystiltskin Tue 30-Aug-11 20:03:47

A kilo of fat = a kilo of muscle however, a kilo of muscle is smaller than that of fat so although it weighs the same it takes up less space but a kilo is a kilo.
Fat is also stored with no water in it (if my physiology days have been remembered correctly) and muscle has plenty of water in it so you may well have more water on board your body.
So no, muscle isn't heavier than fat per se, it's just different.

ameliagrey Wed 31-Aug-11 15:23:53

Why not buy some "fat scales" These will show the % of fat and muscle mass. They vary in accuracy but at least you will see changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now