Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Our baby has been stung by a wasp!

(15 Posts)
genus Mon 29-Aug-11 18:08:57

Our 3 month old, Sophie, has just been stung on the cheek by a wasp. She cried for a while but not much, she seems fine now but just wanted to check if we should keep an eye on her for a while instead of putting her to bed?

we are obviously worried about an allergy but neither father or mother have one and she's just fed and fallen alseep.

Is there anything we should do?

duchesse Mon 29-Aug-11 18:14:05

Poor little thing. Wasps are soooo stupid at this time of the year- they're getting sick and sleepy and just sting randomly. Afaik you can't really develop an allergy proper before you've been stung a few times but with a baby this young I would take medical advice on this- can you ring NHS direct or your surgery?

greengirl87 Mon 29-Aug-11 18:16:19

if she had an allergy you would probably know instantly as she would start to swell up, go red and other such symptoms. I would say if shes stopped crying, the sting looks normal and shes eating she should be fine. If your worried though you could ring NHS direct.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:18:27

I would suggest you ring NHS direct.

My son has been stung twice in the last few weeks and had to go to A & E each time.

Poor baby sad.

genus Mon 29-Aug-11 18:26:29

Have rung NHS direct. A nurse is going to ring us back just because she is so young but the person i spoke to didn't think there was anything to worry about. Asked us whether she was breathing OK, had any swelling in the mouth, tongue or throat, temperature, responding normally etc. We'll keep her up until we hear from the nurse.

sorry about your little boy TheOriginalFAB. hope he's feeling better now.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:42:30

He is, thank you, but I am paanoid now and don't let him go anywhere without the wasp pack.

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 29-Aug-11 18:48:12

What's in the wasp pack FAB?

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:50:32

I made it up. Piriton, Waspeze, Nurofen and something else maybe confused.

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 29-Aug-11 18:52:58

Genus - hope your DD is OK.

Cheers FAB - wondering (for me)- When DH gets stung or bitten he barely notices. I swell up loads and itch for days - am worried the LOs may turn out the same as me

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 18:55:00

I have never been stung but it really scared me when ds1 reacted so quickly the second time.

Footle Mon 29-Aug-11 18:58:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

genus Mon 29-Aug-11 19:23:45

hi everyone. Spoken to a nurse. She thinks Sophie is fine. Greengirl was right in that the allergy would have shown up within 0-10 mins of the sting. We weren't advised to take her to the docs or A&E. Sophie has gone to bed happy now so we're also happy although will probably check on her a bit more often tonight ;)

Thanks for everyones advice and i hope this post helps someone else out in the future.

nightcat Mon 29-Aug-11 19:26:37

poor li'l mite, I was stung recently and it was VERY painful for a few days

TheOriginalFAB Mon 29-Aug-11 19:27:00

DS1 has been fine with Nurofen.

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 29-Aug-11 19:28:14

good news Genus smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now