Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Clicking/dislocating jaw at night

(7 Posts)
DillyTante Mon 29-Aug-11 07:22:47

In the past week my jaw has started going funny at night, when I move it it clicks, sometimes massively. And last night I'm almost sure I could feel the air in it. When I wake up in the morning it needs a good few clicks before sorting itself out. It's not painful but it is uncomfortable and really grossing me out as well as disturbing my sleep. I've never had this before. Anyone got any advice or experience of this?

floramckitchen Mon 29-Aug-11 17:17:10

I have been suffering from this in the last few weeks - my jaw sort of gets out of place after a night in bed. Its only on my right side tho. I just put it down to getting older......... now i'm wondering if I should be worried.

DillyTante Mon 29-Aug-11 19:12:48

Hmm. I'm not sure. Don't think it is an age thing (not for me anyway!) but may be a hormal thing perhaps? A bit like when you are pg and your ligaments soften.

floramckitchen Mon 29-Aug-11 19:28:11

It might be worth a trip to the dentist to get it checked out.They check your jaw and bite as part of a routine check up don't they?

Flumptious Mon 29-Aug-11 19:36:39

Ooh, I still get this. Have had it on and off since childhood. Was told it was growing pains but although I'm still growing out, my upward days are over.

I was given a gum guard which for me made it much much worse.

Also, dentist referred to doctors and doctors referred back again so I gave up.

Maybe start at the dentist?

Ponders Mon 29-Aug-11 19:40:58

it is a dental thing & they can make you a splint to fit to keep your teeth in position overnight, works wonders.

it's called TMJ disorder

I have it too, on one side only

Ponders Mon 29-Aug-11 19:43:06

at least the first one I had worked wonders, second one (made via different dentist because I'd stopped using first one & it didn't fit any more) was rubbish because it had a flat top rather than one where my top teeth fitted into matching indents

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now