Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lung Cancer - anyone any advice or information post surgery?

(8 Posts)
clottedcream Sun 28-Aug-11 07:54:40

my Dad (79) has been diagnosed and surgery (afer various tests) is an option but will take away approx 50% of his lung.

Weve been told its major surgery and Im just worried about after - he lives on his own. Myself and my other sisters, brothers live away, all work etc...

Anyone got any advice on what to expect etc...

crispface Sun 28-Aug-11 08:08:35

I am sorry to hear about your dad sad

4 years ago my dad (aged 63 then) had lung cancer and had his whole lung removed.

He was quite weak in the side that was operated on, for some time afterwards, and still has trouble lifting on that side (the cut acros the back muscles to get into the lung)

He had to work quite hard to regain his fitness and "expand" his other lung.

The following chemo also left him tired.

Hope this helps you, wishing your dad lots of peace during this difficult time.

clottedcream Sun 28-Aug-11 08:36:29

thank you for your reply. They are going to try and go through the front to get to the tumor or last resort the back but they will have to break some ribs to get to it sad

Dont mean to be nosey but how did your Dad cope wiht life afterwards? Did your Dad have carers in to help, my Dad lives in his own and is fairly independant. He drives still but hasnt for at least the last 3-4 months so Im thinking this will be the end perhaps of him driving

MumOfStan Sun 28-Aug-11 09:13:53

I just wanted to share with you that my darling grandad had his entire lung removed due to LC, and whilst for the first year after surgery he was weak and couldn't do as much as before, he still lived 10 years of wonderful, fulfilling life after that (going on hols to various places, intellectually as sharp as ever). He died of old age, not the cancer. He did require more care than usual from my Nan - and I don't think he drove afterwards ever again - but he could definitely go walking, travel etc. I imagine aftercare and surgical techniques have improved in the 12 or so years that have passed since Grandad had his op. I wish you and your Dad all the very best in this difficult time.

clottedcream Sun 28-Aug-11 13:24:45

many thanks for your reply, such a horrible illness

YellowDinosaur Sun 28-Aug-11 21:47:57

I know less about the long term recovery but I work in healthcare and wanted to say that this IS major surgery but your Dad wouldn't (particularly at his age) have been offered this as an option if they didn't think this could firstly cure him of the cancer and secondly that he was fit enough to withstand the surgery.

If he lives alone and you are all too far to offer on going practical help then there are a lot of options to get him either rehabilitation after the surgery or support at home - he certainly won't be kicked out of hospital until he can either cope or has this help in place.

Good luck x

clottedcream Tue 30-Aug-11 11:40:46

Thank you Yellow D - he has to see the anaesatist in 2 weeks to see if he is happy to go ahead - the surgeon has said he thinks he is but has 2 weeks to get strong and eat well!

crispface Wed 31-Aug-11 19:02:56

sorry for the lateness in reply, after the op, dad returned to exactly the same lifestyle as before,no added care and certainly drove himself around. He needed more rest, and it seemed to age him,but then again he gave up work at the same time, so either could have aged him.

Hope your dad is doing ok. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now