Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

blood in urine

(13 Posts)
madwomanintheattic Thu 25-Aug-11 20:47:27

microscopic, and just came to light in a routine medical. no other symptoms.

three further tests same result, so not contaminated by menstrual blood etc. fully tested for uti etc at the lab - all negative.

sending me for further investigations (renal ultrasound etc) but presumably not kidney stones as no symptoms. have of course googled grin and am now wandering idly round bladder and renal cancer sites (as you do...)

half of the sites say blood in urine can be just one of those things with no underlying issue, and half say it's a definite pointer for varying nasties. so now i'm either completely healthy (as the rest of the medical suggested) or just about to go off the deep end into any of many unexpected scenarios...

any experiences or explanantions of tests that anyone wants to share? or docs who can offer probable outcomes? urgh.

and of course i'm 40. so quivering on the brink of falling into the 'higher risk' category. <sigh> come hither, referral.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 26-Aug-11 07:49:58

Sorry, no advice except keep away from Google. Easy for me to say, much more difficult for you to do.
When is your appt.

nightcat Fri 26-Aug-11 12:02:35

My long story:
I had +++ blood in urine for many years and every time it was picked up by a new dr, I was urgently referred for tests (plus used to get up at night for wee). Scans and tests found nothing much except inflammation and was told "some people are like that" etc).
Well, 6 years ago I went gluten free with my ds - no more blood in urine and no more getting up at night. Having done loads of reading on the conditions liked to gluten (for my ds), I have realised I was heading for nephropathy/kidney damage.
Gluten can cause inflammation in various organs, not just gut - eg kidneys, liver, eyes etc through buildup of inflammation and tissue damage. It sort-of-creeps up on you and as the symptoms are not direct and not obviously linked with food, I had never realised the connection, but glad I did.

verylittlecarrot Fri 26-Aug-11 12:14:11

I too have had +++ blood in my urine since I was 20 (am now 40). Have had all the investigations and no cause ever found. Try not to worry. It can often be "one of those things"

madwomanintheattic Fri 26-Aug-11 14:34:16

thanks everyone. still waiting for the referral.

nightcat - that's intersting. have been pondering GAPS diet for ds1. been mulling over dietary stuff but had assumed it couldn't be related...

bit more reassured now!

weegiemum Fri 26-Aug-11 14:41:16

i suffer(ed) from kidney stones for many years and though it now seems to have stopped I still have ++microscopic blood on every test. You could have a large stone that wont pass (accidentally just typed piss smile ) but lets blood through. Could be you would need lithotripsy to shatter it. Just an option!

I keep consoling myself that ++microscopic is better than what the hospital called "Frank" haematuria - when I looked in the bowl it was pink/red.

madwomanintheattic Fri 26-Aug-11 17:05:32

would i not have some sort of pain/ backache if it was a kidney stone weegie? genuinely interested - i had sort of assumed it couldn't be a stone... (lol @ piss though. there's a fair bit of that going on into weenie pots)

do they just monitor you now?

mandmsmummy Fri 26-Aug-11 20:23:06

hi
same for me, am 35 now and had blood and sometimes protein in my urine for certainly my adulthood. had tests and told just the way i am! only time my urine was clear was when i was pregnant! WEIRD!! x

madwomanintheattic Fri 26-Aug-11 20:28:44

that's interesting m&m - no-one mentioned blood in my urine any of the times i was pg... but i think it's the only time anyone has given me a urine test tbh...
ultrasound etc booked for 15th sept, anyway.

AmyStake Sun 28-Aug-11 21:12:40

I discovered I had painless haematuria in 2006 when I got recurrent kidney infections. Kidney infections went away and I still had it. I still have it now. I've had a scan of my kidneys and bladder post infection and they were completely normal. I've had a couple of kidney infections since then but nothing like in 2006. The bleeding and the infections aren't linked afaik.

Apart from that doesn't bother me in the slightest. smile

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Aug-11 01:30:53

thanks amy! at least it does seem to be that in some cases it really isn't indicative of anything much - whatever dr google says. grin

typically, my u/s is booked for the same day and time as dd2's new paed appt. <sigh> so as she's in the pink currently, it's her appt i'm changing and not mine!

IslandMoose Tue 30-Aug-11 16:30:59

My haematuria was linked to polycystic kidney disease - not great, but could have been worse.

It's also possible that you may have some inflammation of the bladder which isn't related to a bacterial infection but which is causing a small amount of bleeding.

Best guess, however, is that it's simply "one of those things".

Best wishes.

madwomanintheattic Tue 30-Aug-11 16:45:26

thanks moose. sorry to hear about your dx, hope you are currently well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now