Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lumpy dad- should I be worried?

(5 Posts)
FetchezLaVache Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:05

My dad's 81 and in generally reasonable health (with the exception of arthritis in his knees that gives him a lot of pain). A couple of months ago he developed a big round lump on his forehead- it looks like there's a marble under his skin (but soft, obviously). I've been on at him to get it checked out, but he absolutely refuses. Today, though, I put my arm round him to give him a hug and noticed he's got another one, much bigger, on his shoulder blade. I said he really must go to the doctor about it, or mention it to the nurse next time he goes for his blood pressure testing, but he's clearly not going to- he's never been ill in his life and I think he's genuinely quite scared of having to undergo any kind of medical procedure. He won't, for instance, entertain having a knee replacement, even though he very much needs it.

Does anyone have any idea what these lumps could be? Is it just an old age thing, or something more sinister? Is there anything I can do? I wondered if I could ring his surgery and see if they could perhaps "notice" it when he goes in next and have a look...

CMOTdibbler Wed 24-Aug-11 21:04:17

A lot of elderly people get benign skin lumps, but he should get it checked. If you phone the surgery they will put a note on his file to 'notice' it when he's next in.

jenniec79 Wed 24-Aug-11 21:05:09

It's impossible to tell without talking to him and seeing/feeling it. There are, of course lumps to worry about but also lots of lumps that are just there and not too much of a problem. It sounds like he's worried by them though (not uncommon, especially in older people to ignore lumps and bumps) but unless he's going to ask someone you're at a bit of an impasse. The BP check person might be the best to approach if he knows her well, but may have to refer on if not her area. If he's "with it" they can't discuss his health with you, although you can give them information though.

FetchezLaVache Wed 24-Aug-11 22:01:41

Thanks, both of you! I'll give the surgery a ring in the morning and see what they say.

nightcat Wed 24-Aug-11 22:51:52

These could be lipomas, when I had one myself (on a shoulder) and asked for it to be taken out, a derm said it could come back and/or I could get more later on as apparently they are comon in older. I had mine taken out years back and it hasn't come back, but they can return and if there are many then they might not even bother taking them out. Or maybe they can take out the one/s that bother him most and test that. Lipomas are apparently harmless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now