Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I really need a root canal because a filling has fallen out?

(3 Posts)
lounger Wed 24-Aug-11 18:16:15

Hello,

Wondering if anyone can offer some dental advice. My teeth are luckily very strong and in all my life I have only had one filling to a molar in my teens (I'm now in my late 30's). This filling was replaced by my (new) dentist five months ago because she said it had cracked. The new filling she put in fell out two days ago. I went back to her and she advised I have a root canal and crown because she said the hole was too big for a filling to stay put, hence why it fell out. However I'm a bit puzzled because I've had a filling in there since my teens without it dislodging. Also there is no pain, discomfort or decay (confirmed by the dentist) and a root canal seems a rather drastic option. Any ideas?

Grumpystiltskin Wed 24-Aug-11 21:05:14

It is impossible to say without seeing your teeth and any x rays you have had. You need to quiz your dentist about a more "conservative" (that's dentist lingo for not drilling teeth more than necessary) approach and whether Root Canal Treatment is the only option.
Without seeing the tooth I'm afraid no-one can tell you one way or another.

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Wed 24-Aug-11 21:11:24

I think whenever a filling is replaced they have to take a little more tooth away before they refill it. I also think that there is extremes for example one or all roots being filled.

This is defo not an expert view just from what I have had. I had a root canal put had an infection/pain before hand.

Agree you need to question first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now