Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Questions about the Mirena coil

(5 Posts)
ameliagrey Wed 24-Aug-11 12:18:56

In time, my gynae is going to suggest this I think as part of HRT- instead of taking progesterone tablets, as he thinks it's safer.

I don't get on well with progesterone- gives me lots of side effects including making my bladder tetchy.

I know that the Mirena is not supposed to affect the whole body- the hormones are contained in the uterus, BUT I have also read about women who felt awful with it, and had it removed.

I'd be intersted to know if it affected you, in a bad way at all.

Columbia999 Wed 24-Aug-11 12:23:08

I had a terrible time with it. Stacked loads of weight on, endless infections from hell, (so bad and numerous that in the end I stopped shelling out for treatment, I just couldn't afford it). Also it made my hair really greasy, I would wash it in the morning and it looked like it had been dipped in the chip pan by the evening! I had the horrible thing in for six months and felt better immediately I had it taken out. The only downside was that the weight didn't go away! sad

ameliagrey Wed 24-Aug-11 12:29:05

oh dear- what kind of infections?

going Wed 24-Aug-11 12:29:13

I had problems with the copper coil. I had really sore breasts, at first just before my period but after a few months it was everyday. May GP said the coil was causing problems with my progesterone even though it as non hormaonal. Within a couple of days of taking it out my pain dispapeared and I now only have breast pain in the hours beofre my period starts.
Due to that reaction I wouldn't consider taking a hormonal coil.

Lizzywishes Wed 24-Aug-11 15:03:24

I have found it great. No side effects other than slightly oilier skin and no periods. Friends with them have similar experiences. I'm on my second now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now