Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

having asthma attack,inlaws coming to take me to gp

(6 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Wed 24-Aug-11 10:33:37

what will gp do as never been for an attack before.

javo Wed 24-Aug-11 13:45:50

I think you should go to A&E if you are having trouble breathing. If you are having an attack they will give you a nebuliser - a little mask that fits over your nose and mouth and you inhale ventolin (the stuff in inhalers) that has been propelled through oxygen - you inhale a whole canister. They keep asessing you and give you more nebuliser if needed and usually discharge you when you recover. If you are still having problems after a few nebulisers they may keep you in and also give you a course of predenisolone - a steroid. They will ususally have a follow up asthma nurse appointment to make sure your ongoing medication (ventolin/montelukast etc) is targeted to your symptoms.

LargeGlassofRed Wed 24-Aug-11 13:48:10

Yep really would go to a and e, usually get seen straight away and treated.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 24-Aug-11 14:54:06

I am back.
GP listened to my chest.
I had a nebuliser and GP said my chest was the same as before but I would be fine and needed to calm down. I was calm.

I have taken the steroids and antibiotics and had to go to hospital for another appointment and now I am home and wiped out.

javo Fri 26-Aug-11 10:09:20

Great you have been treated - sorry you feel wiped. Hope you get well soon

TheOriginalFAB Fri 26-Aug-11 10:11:15

Thank you. I am a bit better today though still taking it very easy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: