Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! wisdom tooth extraction

(12 Posts)
Hther Tue 23-Aug-11 17:56:30

I am in agony with impacted wisdom tooth, there is only a small amount of tooth visible, it is distal bony impaction, lower tooth

Was mean to have all 4 out under general as a teenager and was too scared of going under but now they want to do it under local i'm wishing for a general!

They said when I was 17 that the bottom teeth would not come through any further than they already were which was wrong and that my top teeth wouldnt erupt at all but they did so I was glad i hadnt had them out then now i wish i ahd though as i dread having them done while awake.

The tooth is also so badly decayed that if left i would need root canal before long apparently.

The dentist said they may need to remove some bone as well as lift the gum growing over it and give me stitches. I'm terrfied.

Should I believe the dentist who says i'll be fine with local?!

saralyn Tue 23-Aug-11 18:03:29

Local will be fine, but ask for a sedative (like valium). you have to ask for it in advance so you can arrive early and have time for it to work.

With local it doesn't hurt, but is scary if you are nervous about these kinds of things. Insist on the Valium, I had one tooth out without sedative and one with, was a world of difference. (I am a bit of a wimp, though)

Hther Tue 23-Aug-11 18:10:28

he did say he could prescribe diazepam altho i'm reastfeeding so not sure

ameliagrey Tue 23-Aug-11 20:12:26

You'll be fine. Had one out at 27 ( almost 30 years back)

local , a few stitches, and home- drove myself and was back teaching ( secondary horrors) a few days later.

Mine was badly impacted- had to be sawn out of boneshock but it was all fine.

Don't take aspirin or ibuprofen ( neurofen) for pain as it will thin your blood and you will bleed more. They ought to tell you this.

LolaLadybird Wed 24-Aug-11 07:30:02

I had an impacted wisdom tooth out several years ago. The dentist gave me a choice - have it done under a local in surgery (but warned it could be unpleasant) or referral to hospital for general where they would most likely whip all 4 out. Didn't fancy either much but then he suggested a local with sedation and it was marvellous. The procedure took about 40 mins but I honestly felt I'd been there for about 10 and wasn't aware of anything unpleasant/painful (and I am a big chicken when it comes to the dentist). I just felt a bit whoozy for a little while afterwards. I would definitely recommend ....

I had to arrange for someone to come to take me home and stay with me for the rest of the day.

Hther Wed 24-Aug-11 16:55:00

thanks lolaladybird this is what i would like done but he reckons i would be fine without sedation as i didnt seem as nervous as other patients who ahd it done (I am terrified lol!) but i ahve paid 100 for the consultation and it will cost 450 fr him to do it and if i want sedation i have to pay another 900 pounds!

Meglet Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:12

My dentist referred me to the oral / facial dept at the hospital to have my lower, right impacted wisdom tooth out. It was sitting on the nerve so the dentist wasn't keen on doing it.

In the end it took a hospital dentist / OF surgeon bloke 30 mins to hack and cut it out of my jaw. I wasn't sedated, he seemed even more concerned than me once he got started and realised it was going to be a bugger to get out.

It needed a few stitches afterwwards but I was fine to drive home. Not much food for 24 hrs, massive bruises down my neck, lots of swelling too. Not much pain though smile. Poor dentist even called me at home in the evening to see if I was ok as it had been so hard going and he thought I might have nerve damage - I didn't.

Hther Wed 24-Aug-11 17:08:10

i wish the NHS would do it well they cant as its surgical procedure but i wish they would refer me

nocake Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:08

I had all mine done under local, one side at a time, with no sedation. I can't tell you that it was pleasant but it wasn't painful and my recovery was really quick. I was able to eat on the other side of my mouth that evening. Comparisons with friends who have had them done under general suggest that you get less bruising with a local, maybe because they have to take a bit more care.

LolaLadybird Wed 24-Aug-11 17:49:46

£900 for sedation seems a ridiculous amount of money! shock I considered sedation for another dental procedure a few years ago and it would only have been £150.

JanMorrow Wed 24-Aug-11 18:24:43

I had my top wisdom tooth out under local and it was fine. It didn't hurt at all and I actually found the sensation really interesting rather than unsettling.

Good luck!

scarlet80 Mon 29-Aug-11 13:57:43

Hello Hther- you have my sympathy. In fact, I've just this second posted something v similar! I've just got back from the dentist and been told that my wisdom tooth and the one next to it need to come out. It's also impacted. It was an emergency dentist that I saw today and she has written a referral to an NHS sedation clinic to get the teeth removed. Apparently it'll be around the £100 mark. I'll also be given a local too. I'm terrified and know that it'll be all i'll be thinking about/Googling until the appointment comes through in the next 3 weeks!
Do you know when you're getting this all done? Good luck and try not to worry (if you work out how to do that, let me know!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now