Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Polyp and narrowing of cervix, being sent for more tests and worried.

(7 Posts)
girlsrus Tue 23-Aug-11 14:04:03

Hello

I've been coming on and off here for the last four months because way back I thought i was pregnant, had all the symptoms then a very very painless period so tested and it was neg. Continued with all the classis pregnancy symptoms, another light period so went to gp who referred me for a scan and then thought I had gallstones even though I have none of those symptoms but she still thinks I have so I have an abdominal scan booked for a weeks time. A third light period later and my transvaginal scan came through. I went last week and got results today.

Gp said I have a narrowing of the cervix which they think is restricting the blood flow when I have periods which makes sense but surely I would have pain if all the blood is not coming out and I would be really bloated? Where is all teh blood going then, three months worth? I normally bleed for 7 days with four being very heavy, blood clots, pain and having to wear two night time towels to bed. But last three have been so light, two were only reallyt a day anda half with spotting either side. No period pains at all with all three.

She said narrowing of teh cervix can be caused by childbirth and talked about at torn cervix? My first two births were pretty average and the third was lovely so bit confused.

She also said I have a polyp which needs to be removed and I am being referred for more tests and a hysteroscopy etc. I had a look about these and they tend to be with older women and the side effects is really heavy periods and bleeding between periods which is teh opposite to what is happening. I am 32. I am worried about going under an anesthetic and I am worried about having a polyp.

I would love to hear from anyone who had similar experience.

Thank you

girlsrus Tue 23-Aug-11 15:10:39

please excuse bad typing, was trying to do it quickly whilst entertaining three children smile

girlsrus Tue 23-Aug-11 16:03:43

Cervical Stenosis I think is the term

Quodlibet Tue 23-Aug-11 20:44:03

I can't answer all your questions but do know that cervical polyps are very common and certainly some are not at all serious, and a lot disappear on their own. I had a couple that just went away.

IIRC Your menstrual blood wouldn't have stored up, I think it gets reabsorbed by the body.

girlsrus Tue 23-Aug-11 21:00:18

thank you Quodlibet.

my gp said they could see fluid in my womb and they want to put me asleep to remove the polyp and have a better look around.

if they could leave it i would prefer that.

mandmsmummy Tue 23-Aug-11 21:03:20

Hi i cant help with the narrowing of the cervix but I can offer some support for the polyp. I had bleeding between periods and then spotting during my first pregnancy (when I was 29) they found a polyp on my cervix and it burst during labour with frightened the student midwife to death!! they sutured it up and had no problems with it since. I was told they are very common and I think they can come at any age. Please try not to worry.
xx

girlsrus Tue 23-Aug-11 22:34:45

mandmsmummy - thank you. i did a bit of reading up on polyps and its said bleeding between periods and heavy periods. at the moment i amn just having really short light periods so its strange i have a polyp?

i guess the lightness is down to the narrowing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now