Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

getting worried - diarrhea for nearly 3 weeks

(3 Posts)
narmada Tue 23-Aug-11 13:35:49

Hi all,

someone please quell my hypochondria!

I've had diarrhea for about 3 weeks now - no stomach pain at all, just terrible runs up to 8 times a day. Of course I've gone to the docs and am currently waiting on results of a stool sample. Started losing weight now (which is no bad thing really as I was overweight to start with).

All other members of the family well, not been abroad anwhere exotic recently and not eaten food that the rest of the family's not eaten either..

Are there infectious agents that can cause diarrhea for this long or is something else likely to be going on?

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 23-Aug-11 18:36:53

Yes, infection could last this long. Sample should confirm if infection or not. Viruses often pass person to person but less likely for a food poisoning bacteria to.

If no infection, further tests would be in order, eg blood test and referral to a consultant. Long lasting diarrhoea with weight loss does need to be investigated though.

hester Tue 23-Aug-11 18:45:39

I agree that infection could last this long. It could be something else, though - it's very important that if there is no infection your GP investigates the other possibilities.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now