Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone here take the pill continuously and never have a period?

(15 Posts)
pppickupapenguin Mon 22-Aug-11 19:23:22

I asked FP clinic tonight about running 2 packs together to stop a period and she said that they are now saying that it's fine to take them continuously so that you never have any periods. (I know that the pill was originally designed with an artifical bleed to mimic a natural cycle so in theory it would always have been ok to take them without a break - but the FP practiontioner said that this was never officially sanctioned until now).

So does anybody here do that? I'm very tempted. On the one hand it's almost reassuring to see a period and know that you're not pregnant and I wonder if it's a good idea to give your body a break from the synthetic hormones (at the same as realising this may be nonsense!) . But on the other hand - wow, no periods!!

pppickupapenguin Mon 22-Aug-11 19:24:20

practiotioner

lubeybooby Mon 22-Aug-11 19:24:41

I presume it's safe but wouldn't have worked for me as I always got breakthrough bleeding at that time anyway (tried it twice unsucessfully)

pppickupapenguin Mon 22-Aug-11 19:25:28

How long did you run them together for, lubey? They said that it would take a bit of time to sort out but that after that you should only get one once a year or so.

DaisySteiner Mon 22-Aug-11 19:36:39

Personally I found that after I'd run a couple of packs together I would get hideous bleeding when having sex shock

I'm now on Cerazette which is a mini-pill and lots of women find they don't get any bleeding whilst they're on it. IIRC it's as effective as the combined pill and I really like it, although I know other people aren't keen. I have very occasional, light bleeding once every 5 or 6 months (as I type this, I know that as I am going on holiday tomorrow bleeding will start imminently grin)

TheOnlyWayIsEnfield Mon 22-Aug-11 19:37:06

I did that for three packs back to back at a time when I was on the pill, for about 5 years. My gp told me to as I always had horrendous migraines during my pill free week. It was about 8 years ago, I would estimate. Some people don't like not getting their period, but I have no idea why!? It was bliss for me!

Lady1nTheRadiator Mon 22-Aug-11 19:45:17

I did three packs a while ago and bled for the last half of the third pack, and a week beyond. I don't think I'll do more than two in a row from now on. Hmm maybe I'll ask when I get my next prescription.

lubeybooby Mon 22-Aug-11 20:13:22

I once did three packs together then thought maybe that wasn't long enough so tried four. Didn't work either time, then I got the mirena and that stopped the buggers. Now have the implant and that has stopped them too.

nethunsreject Mon 22-Aug-11 20:16:04

I did it for years with no ill effects. It is indeed an entirely artificial 'period'.

I guess you could try and see how you get on?

pppickupapenguin Mon 22-Aug-11 20:16:14

Hmmm, so sounds like it's very common to still bleed at odd times. I think I'd rather have a predictable period once a month than an unpredictable one every now and then.

BeardofZeus Sun 28-Aug-11 06:35:49

Same for me - 3 packs running together equals spotting towards the end of the third pack, a late period (which was terrifying the first time ha!) and an 'extended' period at that. I now only run 2packs together before taking a break. I've heard th injection is good if you don't want periods though...hmm

BeardofZeus Sun 28-Aug-11 06:36:25

no idea why that face appeared then..am meant to be thoughtful not disparaging of injections grin

foreverwino Sun 28-Aug-11 07:46:26

I used to run 3 packs together so had a v light bleed every 9 wks, no breakthrough.

Seona1973 Sun 28-Aug-11 08:51:16

I bled constantly with the injection and gave up after getting the second one - I also put on hundreds of weight with it. I now use cerazette mini-pill and havent had a period for a couple of years now.

TigerseyeMum Sun 28-Aug-11 22:39:45

I ran packs together continuously for 10 years to control endometriosis, never had any problems with it.

Came off the pill last year and bloody regretting it now hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now