Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which omega 3 supplement for adults and children?

(5 Posts)
Caged Sun 21-Aug-11 21:01:58

I want to start taking fish oil supplements and think they may also be beneficial for my ds (memory problems) and dd (started periods) so may as well also give them to dd2. I used to get the eye q ones on a 3 for 2 at Boots, but wondered if a. They are good and b. Is there a less expensive, but still good alternative?

sloggies Mon 22-Aug-11 15:39:45

We use Boots own Brain & Heart health Omega Oils 3, 6 and 9. Large silver container, blue label, contains 180 capsules. Suitable for all over 12's (certain exceptions on packaging).
These are better value, and worth getting, particularly on 3 for 2.

WildHare Mon 22-Aug-11 15:49:06

I spent alot of time trawling the net looking into this last week. Basically there is a huge disparity in all the different supplements. To get a proper dose an adult needs 500mg - 1g of EPA/DHA per day. So check the bottles to see what they contain. This is often more than the stated dose. For adults more EPA than DHA is probably beneficial. If you are pregnant or a child you need more DHA. The child dose is 500 mg for a young child but varies with age. I think you get what you pay for in terms of quality and concentration. The ultra refined oils are less likely to be contaminated but much more expensive. I bought Waitrose omega 3 for about £2 per bottle but on checking realised that it didn't contain fish oil, just vegetable oil which is converts to EPA quite inefficiently. After all my research I bought Mor-EPA for DH and SmartStart for DS. But he is only 12 months old. EyeQ is supposed to be very good and will probably get that when he is older.

CornishPatsy Tue 23-Aug-11 13:13:03

Eating fresh fish a couple of times a week just as good - try a local company which gets the freshest (like fishforthought in Cornwall, which preps and delivers UK-wide direct from its boats, and has kids' boxes) as it's miles fresher than the supermarket and not fishy, like most fish.
The most important thing with supplementation is that the oil is pure and also stored in the fridge so not rancid. Don't bother with the cheap stuff or Boots. Victoria Health online stocks MorEPA and Krill Oil and would be able to advise - helpful team. But best to eat it as naturally as poss before supplementation.

gailforce1 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:13:58

For adults Eskimo 3 from the Nutri centre. The important thing is where the fish oil is souced from. Deep sea and where there is minimum pollution.
Nuri centre are very helpful and professional nutitionists source their supplements from them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now