Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cough/cold so severe I keep being sick

(11 Posts)
Iamseeingstars Sat 20-Aug-11 22:05:53

And it wont go away. It has lasted more than a month, been back to the doctor three times, but he keeps saying my chest is clear and its just a cold and wont give me antibiotics.

I have lost about 6 kg in this time, I cant keep anything down. My head hurts, my throat is so tight I struggle to breathe, I have tried numerous cough medicines, vic inhalation, etc., but it just wont clear up.

When I do go to the doctor, I am not coughing so he cant see how bad it is

I dont know what to do. It is just a severe cold but it has wiped me out.

Kladdkaka Sat 20-Aug-11 22:27:42

Have you tried taking some antihistimines?

pamplemousserose Sat 20-Aug-11 22:29:52

Get a second opinion

noraa Sat 20-Aug-11 22:30:17

are you taking any other medicines?
it can be a side effect of one of them.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 20-Aug-11 22:32:12

I was also going to recommend taking something that would dry up your nose a bit and give you some relief from the cough.

I use Actifed at night as it helps me sleep (the tablets) and Sudafed in the daytime.

Are you blowing your nose totally clear? Try your very hardest not to sniff anything back (sorry, TMI I suspect) so you blow (or spit) everything out.

Try to get outside, open windows etc as much as you can so you get as much clean air as you can.

You could also try dosing yourself on echinacea (sp?) and lots of vit C (eg strawberries and honey) to help yourself fight it off as much as you can.

I hope you feel better soon.

MrsHuxtable Sun 21-Aug-11 09:30:53

I had this a couple of years ago and it turned out to be Whooping Cough (I kid you not). It took 3 doctors and a blood test to actually diagnose me because they were so incompetent convinced I had allergies. Does the throwing up come quite suddenly? Do you sometimes feel like your airways are suddenly blocked and you can get no air for a few seconds?

javo Sun 21-Aug-11 09:48:06

can you go to a different doctor at the same practice? explain the weight loss etc they may be more sympathetic - sounds like you need a decent diagnosis pronto.

Iamseeingstars Sun 21-Aug-11 11:26:12

Am doing everything as suggested. The coughing comes on and I feel my airways are blocked. The sickness is mostly phlem, mainly white with occasional green lumps (sorry).

Trouble is I am waiting chemotherapy so doctors are reluctant to give me anything, especially antibiotics because I will need them down the line.

Keep thinking it cant last forever, but every part of my body hurts now. Have been checked weekly by doctors and my chest/lungs are clear, even had an xray so they want to just see how it goes.
Will be going back to the doctors - again. Thanks for your feedback

Iamseeingstars Sun 28-Aug-11 01:43:12

Found out what my problem is!! I have pneumonia

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 28-Aug-11 03:35:51

How in hell's name could your doctor pronounce that your lungs were clear if you had pneumonia confused ?

Iamseeingstars Sun 28-Aug-11 10:25:09

I dont think they were rattling like you would expect. This turns out to be because of where the infection was and it was hard to detect.
Still in hospital, accessing internet thru my phone. Still feel really rotten but antibiotics are starting to kick in now. Might be released in a couple of days if I am lucky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now