Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you tell if bone in foot broken?

(6 Posts)
Aftereightsaremine Sat 20-Aug-11 21:02:50

Hi tripped over earlier today & I think have sprained my ankle but I have a huge lump that has come up on side of foot which is very painful.

Foot aches continuously but I can move it though its painful. Foot is not swollen. Just concerned about the lump really whether or not broken bone so if anyone can give advise please.

I have fractured bones before & this is no way as painful.

festi Sat 20-Aug-11 21:07:44

same happened here a few months ago. My friend who is an a&e nurse said to me that if broken the foot bruises very badly and black. She suspected I had torn the ligament she did say I should get it checked out as I may need an open cast, but I never did. It hurt for a good two months.I have no pain now but the lump is still there, its a very soft swelling.

StitchingMoss Sat 20-Aug-11 21:09:13

I suspect it's just a swelling from the fall. The only way you can really tell if anything is broken is obviously an xray, but it sounds like you just need to rest it.

However, I seem to be in a minority of one on MN at not telling everyone to drive straight to A&E!

Aftereightsaremine Sat 20-Aug-11 21:44:45

Thanks for both replies, am resting it now & hope it improves by tomorrow

PacificDogwood Sat 20-Aug-11 21:47:35

Rest
Ice
Elevate
Take some Brufen if you are not allergic to it

See what it feels like tomorrow - If you cannot weight bear, get it X-rayed.

jenniec79 Sat 20-Aug-11 22:25:26

Can you stand on it?
Are either of the nobbly bits on the sides of your ankle sore to prod?
What about the bony points in the sides of your foot?

Have a look at google for the Ottawa ankle rules. Google images gives you the poster with which nobbly bits I mean on it!

If it's not stand-on-able or sore on those points you might need an XR, otherwise Rest Ice Elevate and Get Well Soon! If it's not settling head to your GP in the week - may even need physio to get going again if it's a bad sprain.

If you're worried take it to A&E to get a once over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now