Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Plaster cast woes!

(7 Posts)
wobblyweeble82 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:47:02

DS is back in leg plaster for his talipes. He's had over 100 casts in his life, and we've managed to keep him clean really quite successfully over the years. He is however nearly 8, and started getting somewhat sweaty and a bit greasy haired and things and I'm seriously wondering how we're going to keep him from stinking over the next few weeks. I've just ordered one of those plaster cast covers but any suggestions gratefully received. We've found the covers a headache in the past tbh. He's had this plaster on for just over 24hrs and already his foot is somewhat fragrant ... If we can deal with the practicalities of it, the 'emotional' side is much easier to deal with as its not quite as unpleasant an experience confused

coansha Fri 19-Aug-11 13:17:39

Hi, my youngets daughter recently broke all her toes jumping out of trees shoeless and we got her a fibreglass plaster-cast, which meant we could use shower, bath and swim( in oz) so no smelly issues.
Would this be of any use? We had normal cast for first 3 weeks until MRI scan confirmed no surgery required and those covers are a bloody nightmare.
Hope surgery went well, my eldest had bilateral hip surgery for CDH.

wobblyweeble82 Sun 21-Aug-11 18:34:57

Thanks coansha. DS' plastercast is plaster of paris with what I take to be a fibre glass coating?? It's orange this week! I don't think the NHS will fund a full fibre glass plaster as he's having it changed weekly. I'm using talc and a funnel at the moment with moderate success. He smells of babies, which is much better than stilton obviously ... I'm just going to have to crack on with it I think.

Hope your eldest is unstoppable now smile

boxoftricks Sun 21-Aug-11 18:42:00

if it's being chased weekly, does it get a proper wash when its being changed?

Scootergrrrl Sun 21-Aug-11 18:45:11

Can you squidge in some of that antibacterial hand gel or does it have to be totally dry?

wobblyweeble82 Sun 21-Aug-11 20:05:11

Well they tell you to keep it totally dry, otherwise (guessing here) I'm guessing they're hot and warm enough as it is to breed infection as it is. I could do with a powder-dri antibac spray! . His leg gets a quick wipe down but not a proper wash. Its just all deeply unpleasant.

CMOTdibbler Sun 21-Aug-11 20:45:09

I'd use baking powder or medicated talc as being better at stopping the smell. I found this but don't know if you can get it here.

Maybe they'd wipe him down with antibac gel if you asked ? I have found Hibiwash fantastic at dealing with the smell caused by wearing thermoplastic splints.

My sympathy though - I've spent a quarter of last year in plaster, and most of it in splints, and it was horrible in the heat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now