Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baffled after negative arthritis blood test!

(54 Posts)
vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 17:55:44

Hi all.

I had a blood test last week for rhumatoid arthritis which has come back negative.

Been suffering with sore stiff joints from neck down to feet, with upper back, neck, shoulders and arm being the worst. It's worse when I get up in the morning (eases after about 1-2 hours) and also after anything physical. Also all my joints have are constantly clicking and I suffer from Raynards.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Does it always show in the blood?

Any comments would be appreciated.

weegiemum Thu 18-Aug-11 17:59:52

I show up -ve for rheumatoid factor even though I clearly have RA.

Have you had your inflammatory indicators checked?

RunnerHasbeen Thu 18-Aug-11 18:01:17

I have rheumatoid arthritis but the initial tests were negative (I'm assuming you mean the rheumatoid factor tests), six months later were positive. However I had large amounts of fluid in my joints and high levels of inflammation. If it is blood tests for inflammation you have had and they are negative it is unlikely to be RA. The rheumatoid factor doesn't always show in the blood but inflammation does when the condition is active. There are other arthritic conditions though, have they said what they are going to do next?

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:01:35

Hey
When you say that you clearly have RA, have you been diagnosed?
How do I have my indicators checked?

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:03:39

Runner
I had rhumatoid blood tests that's all I know. What were your initial tests? My grandma was riddled with it!

weegiemum Thu 18-Aug-11 18:05:01

I'm diagnosed, under the rheumatologists, on methotrexate which helps.

Inflammatory indicators are a different blood test which is more accurate - you might need to ask for it, or sk for a referral to the rheumatologists for it to be done.

You dont have to suffer with it - its a ghastly underreported disease. I cant feel my fingers today cos of raynauds. But still my RF blood tests are negative!

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:11:44

The receptionist said no further action required!

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:13:39

Oh right! That's useful weegiemum, thankyou.

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:19:19

I know on the slip I had it was testing for 'rheumatoid factor' if that helps? Is that different to indicators?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 18:24:21

any psoriasis in the family?

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:31:32

Not psoriasis but excema, why?

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:50

weegiemum

I have just read your message properly now, sorry!!!

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Aug-11 18:53:10

I am in the same position. I am waiting for the next flare up and then I will be re-tested and possibly x-rayed. You need to go back to your GP though if you are so stiff all over like that. Even if it's not RA you need to find out what it is and get it treated.

Tenebrist Thu 18-Aug-11 18:57:24

My mum was suffering appallingly from arthritic-like pain but the test for rheumatoid arthritis came out negative. Turned out after being admitted to hospital (her immobility got so bad that she fell and couldn't get up again) that she actually had gout and is now on some tabs specifically to prevent that . Allupurinol?

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Aug-11 19:18:04

because psoriatic arthritis is similar to rheumatoid arthritis, but you do get a negative ra blood result.

CMOTdibbler Thu 18-Aug-11 19:19:57

I had swollen, stiff, painful joints, but was negative for RA and lupus - turned out I had coeliac disease and that was causing the arthritis. After diagnosis, I had no more problems after 6 months of healing

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:28:11

Thanks for the comments.

Ohyoubadkitten-what exactly is it and what are the efeects?

wonkylegs Thu 18-Aug-11 20:31:17

You can get seronegative arthritis which means you don't test positive for RF
If you are still suffering and it hasn't diminished you need to go back to the GP and push for them to look at something else. There are over 300 different types if arthritis
Have a look at www.arthritiscare.org.uk they can give you more details about diagnosis treatment etc and there is a good support network on there to (discussion) smile

Hulababy Thu 18-Aug-11 20:31:49

I have just been dx with psoriatic arthritis. My RA test was negative. I have had scalp psoaris since I was 13y.

vickylou2004 Thu 18-Aug-11 20:46:21

CMOTdibbler-now that's useful as I have bloating due to certain food intolerances, I will be asking for a test for that too.

Wonkylegs-Yes I've heard that there are lots of different types of arthritis. I've been doing a lot of research.

These comments are really appreciated.

didyouseewhatshedid Thu 18-Aug-11 22:02:39

Op i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis last year. Similar symptons to you. Blood tests were negative. Only ever had mild excema. I would push for a referral to a rheumatology clinic.

shitmagnet Fri 19-Aug-11 03:32:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shitmagnet Fri 19-Aug-11 03:33:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vickylou2004 Fri 19-Aug-11 07:03:07

Thanks guys.
Didyouseewhatshedid-Yes I am going to thankyou. I had another headache last night and woken up with sore neck and shoulders again!

didyouseewhatshedid Fri 19-Aug-11 22:10:42

One more thing OP: diclofenac will make a huge difference in the short term. One on a night, it is slow release, and it should sort out the morning stifness. Your GP will prescribe. best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now