Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rheumatoid Arthritis?

(5 Posts)
weegiemum Thu 18-Aug-11 17:48:44

Anyone else have this?

I'm really suffering at the moment with a bad flare-up, ghastly raynauds giving me freezing hands, swollen feet, cant walk the length of myself (as my Gran - who also had it - would have said).

I'm only 40, but also have prem menopause. Am on naproxen, co-codamol, methotrexate - medicated to death at half my life expectancy!

Just wondered if anyone else suffered - a friend who is training offered me a reiki treatment and though I think all that is <wooooo> I am tempted - anything to make this better. Can hardly walk the kids to the school bus stop as I am so stiff!

nothruroad Thu 18-Aug-11 18:59:03

I have had RA since I was 19, am now 35. I'm on the same medication as you and also infliximab biologic infusions. These have made so much difference to how I feel. Has anti-TNF therapy been suggested to you yet? If not, ask. Have you done any pain management courses?

CurlyCasper Wed 21-Sep-11 20:57:06

I've had it since I was 16, now 32. On hydroxychloroquine, sulphasalazine and weekly methotrexate injections - plus all the brufen, iron etc. Had a really crap year, after giving birth. Now my daughter is 15 months and things are nearly back under control. Here if you want to chat. We might even know the same rheumiess, as my consultant was in Glasgow before I moved to England-shire.

CurlyCasper Wed 21-Sep-11 20:57:48

Oh, and there was talk of biologics, but I think they are holding off so I can plan and have another child.

Freezingmyarseoff Wed 21-Sep-11 22:04:46

I was diagnosed with RA 3 years ago. I'm very lucky as although my initial prognosis seemed pretty bad, it is really under control now, I'm only on sulphasalazine and a low dose of steroids. I don't need any pain killers. What I have found is that adjusting my diet has made a MASSIVE difference. I read a book called Say No to Arthritis by Patrick Holford which basically says that diet has a big impact on RA. I was pretty cynical at first but decided I had nothing to lose. What I have found is that by cutting out all dairy, chocolate, and red wine my RA has improved significantly, although I really struggle with the no chocolate thing. They may not be the culprits for you but I believe it is fairly common that many RA sufferers also have food intolerances/allergies that all contribute to an elevated immune response.
I haven't even followed half the advice in the book by the way, but just thought it was worth recommending.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now