Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dental implants

(9 Posts)
sonearsofar Thu 18-Aug-11 17:11:21

has anyone had one of these? My teeth are rubbish - crowns everywhere plus a partial denture - and I'm wondering if they're worth the eye-watering cost?

alwaysme Thu 18-Aug-11 17:29:44

Yes, I have 6 and they were most definitely worth it. Had them 6 years now and not a bit of trouble.

And, of course, if you are unlucky enough to break one of the crowns fixed to them, they just glue a new one on. No messing with new posts or drilling! Best thing I ever did smile

GiveMeStrength2day Thu 18-Aug-11 17:39:01

Sorry to put a slight downer on things! I had one fitted a year ago. All was fine and I was delighted. Then yesterday, it came out! Yep, the whole flipping thing. Apparently "that never happens" hmm . So whilst I would still say get them done, it should be with a slight note of caution. Also, apart from the cost being eye-watering, so was (in my experience) the pain of having the post put in!!

sonearsofar Thu 18-Aug-11 19:04:58

oh dear, not what I wanted to hear Givemestrength! Did you both get them done privately? I've always gone NHS until pain drove me to a private dentist today (after my NHS dentist told me to put up with it), who mentioned it as a possibility. Until then, I've always assumed that I'd be wearing dentures within a decade, as my teeth are such rubbish.

GreatNorksOfFire Thu 18-Aug-11 19:08:50

I had one done about 12 years ago. It's been no trouble at all.

My Dad had about 18 in total and said it was the best thing he ever did.

alwaysme Thu 18-Aug-11 19:13:50

I had mine done privately.

GiveMeStrength, that is awful bad luck and really shouldn't have happened. Also, I had mine done under sedation and can honestly say I didn't feel a thing. How long was your implant left for the bone to grow into it before anything was attached? I waited 6 months until xrays showed they were ready.

GiveMeStrength2day Thu 18-Aug-11 23:03:45

Mine was also done privately - the chap is a whizz at this sort of thing hmm ! Just trying to think how long it was left before the crown was placed.... I think it may have been 3 months (pretty sure it wasn't 6 months). To be fair, the actual treatment in itself wasn't too bad (muchos injections!) but for a few days afterwards I was screaming in agony (sorry sonearsofar !). I'm in possession of some pretty heavy-duty painkillers (I have arthritis amongst other things) and not even Oromorph was touching it! Did anyone get the bruising as well?? Like they'd received a left-hook to the jaw?!

alwaysme Fri 19-Aug-11 01:55:07

3 months does seem quite fast, once the crown is on then pressure can loosen the implant if the jawbone hasn't really gripped it. I remember thinking oh heck, when the dentist said how long I might have to wait but he insisted better to wait longer than put them on too soon.

I can honestly say that apart from feeling a bit bruised and sore, the pain after wasn't too bad. I've had worse pain for days after just an extraction. I do wonder if the fact that you are relaxed under sedation helps.

Definitely know what you mean about the left-hook !! Bruising and swelling along the jaw, not a pretty sight grin

GiveMeStrength2day Fri 19-Aug-11 13:03:23

Maybe when I go back to get it redone I'll mention about being sedated. I've had a tooth out under sedation before - knocked out in dentist chair and woke up in bed at home - good stuff grin . That said, I was meant to have had an endoscopy under sedation (obviously not at the dentists) and apparently I fought them so they couldn't do it blush grin - I don't remember doing that but it obviously didn't render me helpless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now