Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirina Coil - Is it possible for it to stop working before it's due for renewal?

(13 Posts)
LynetteScavo Thu 18-Aug-11 12:05:14

I've had my coil in for four years...supposed to have a new one next summer.

For the past four years, I've have very, very light periods. This month I've had a "proper" period.

I'm scared my coil my have run out of what was doing the magic. Is that possible? There is no more room in the Scavo house hold for another baby Scavo. [nervous]

CMOTdibbler Thu 18-Aug-11 12:13:52

According to the GP, no - mine is being replaced next week right at the end of its 5 years. I very occasionally have a period, even though I don't have anything normally.

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Aug-11 13:16:23

Thank you.

I'm sure my GP would say the same thing. I just needed a bit of reassurance.

KilledBill Thu 18-Aug-11 17:11:06

No, it shouldnt "run out" of the hormones, they should have been tested and the five years probably already allows some leaway to avoid lawsuits.

But - they can "migrate" and either fall out, or leave the womb / perforate. If this happened it would no longer be effective. So check the strings to see if you can still feel them, look out for any unusual pain / discharge. Although coils usually do this nearer the time they are fitted, so if all has been well for 4 years it probably still is.

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:51:10

No, it's definitely still there!

DCSsunhill Thu 18-Aug-11 21:07:19

I was told yes, and mine did. That said, I did keep it in for over six years as the strings had disappeared and I was terrified of having it surgically removed.

In that extra year, my periods returned after a five year gap coupled with breast tenderness and pmt.

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Aug-11 21:35:12

Hmm....I think I might ask for a new one just in case.

VFVF Fri 19-Aug-11 19:28:39

Hmm, not an expert but even if (and that's a very unlikely if) the hormone had 'run out', the coil itself is still there, and so is still effective in acting as a contraceptive. It's known that just the prescence of a 'foreign body' like the coil prevents against pregnancy, especially if it contains copper.
HTH

If it's any consolation, I had a Mirena fitted in August 1997, almost a year after having DS. Had it removed in May 2008, was pregnant the following month with DD3. Clearly mine did it's job and some grin.

On a sensible note though, I probably had one or two 'normalish' periods per year and absolutely jack the rest of the time. Marvellous thing it is!

sugarpear Fri 19-Aug-11 19:36:59

Sorry to ask a question and not give an answer.

But i have to know does the coil hurt when removed? Cos it flipping well did going in!

It did me - I had a GA putting it in after the pain was so unbearable when they first tried. I also had one for removal as the stringy bit wasn't reachable. Sorry if that's TMI...

LynetteScavo Fri 19-Aug-11 21:10:02

Well, I've been plucking up courage all day to phone the doctors...I'm not sure what to say to the receptionist.

Why is it that I can sort anything for my DC, but wobble if it's for myself.

So I have no alternative contraception, and it's Saturday night.! confused

I don't think the Mirena coil is copper, is it? I thought it was plastic. I have been really scared about having it changed, but the thought of another baby is far scarier. It didn't hurt too much going in, but then I suspect I have a cervix which is generally quite loose after giving birth to a baby with the worlds biggest head.

Call them you silly thing - it's better to be safe than sorry. Get some condoms.....Hope you're ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now