Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I get rid of this sodding migraine? 6 days now

(9 Posts)
foxinsocks Thu 18-Aug-11 05:01:03

stupid bloody thing

It's waking me up every day at 4am with the pain when the painkillers wear off - it's a hormonal migraine so not really too much I can do until my hormones right themselves but it is utterly hideous

I am walking around like a zombie. Don't know if I should try some stronger painkillers that might knock me out better at night.

Am really busy at work too and staying at home isn't really an option tbh so am muddling through grrrr

I only take paracetomal or nurofen (codeine makes me vomit) so not sure if there is anything better for night times

kittensliveupstairs Thu 18-Aug-11 06:36:36

Can you ask your GP for something? I had a migraine which lasted 9 days. I was finally diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and had surgery.
That cured the bugger.

wobblyweeble82 Thu 18-Aug-11 06:50:38

I'd bob and see your GP - I had rterrible migraines whilst on the mirena coil and got told that if your migraine lasts more than 5 days to see a doctor to rule out anything else. Not quite as dramatic as kittens though!

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 18-Aug-11 06:56:16

Imigran - you can interview with the pharmacist for it or see the GP.
Also, I had a hospital admission migraine a few weeks ago. They gave me a big dose of aspirin. (After codeine, triptans etc). Again I would speak to doctor before doing this.

foxinsocks Thu 18-Aug-11 07:08:54

Omg kitten! You poor thing. Glad you got through it and they took you seriously.

My GP told me the migraines were my fault as I took too many painkillers and they were rebound headaches. At this point, he hadn't even asked how many I take and in fact, I hardly take any as I get reflux so have to watch how many pills I pop as they tend to upset my stomach.

Thankfully I paid to see a gynae who immediately diagnosed menstrual migraines and said my GP was an arse and I hadn't taken nearly enough painkillers for the pain and nowhere near enough or frequently enough to get rebound headaches grrrr

So no point going to GP. The triptans don't work for these sad. Was hoping for a miracle cure but short of cutting part of my head out (which is what it feels like I need to do) I don't know what else can be done.

Thanks for the posts. I'm glad others understand my pain lol!

forkful Thu 18-Aug-11 11:51:29

foxinsocks - have you tried triptans? I get menstrual migraine and the triptan I take - zomig works most of the time.

Hope it clears soon.

AmyStake Thu 18-Aug-11 23:40:13

I had sumatriptan, that worked but it only lasted about 2 hours. Until I got a mega migraine and ended up phoning the out of hours doctor who told me to stop taking them as I take SSRIs and there's a risk of something called serotonin syndrome when you combine the two. Please be careful smile

jjgirl Fri 19-Aug-11 13:12:11

have you tried beta blockers for long term relief? I started them a week ago and it has been fab i must say. i am normally a serial migrainer.

foxinsocks Sat 20-Aug-11 18:01:40

Thanks everyone. I am hoping it has finally gone.

I have tried most of the triptans - not sure if I've tried zomig, I'll look it up. Unfortunately I get quite low bp so I can't get beta blockers!

I feel better today for the first time - just hoping I don't wake up with it again tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now