Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there anyone else suffering from Meniere's disease?

(7 Posts)
BelleEnd Wed 17-Aug-11 12:28:48

Hello smile

I've been having symptoms for a while now and was only diagnosed early this year. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting worse and had the horrible experience of a split second of complete vertigo whilst driving earlier. sad Am going to see the doctor this afternoon to see what I should do/ Talk about driving etc.

I'd love to hear from anyone else with the disease... I've met no-one with it and feel like I'm the only one in the world...

bagelmonkey Wed 17-Aug-11 19:04:02

My dad has meniere's, so you're not the only one.
Are you on tablets?
My dad finds certain things make him more likely to have an attack. He says even certain wine varieties, so now avoids red wine.

AmeliaSachs Wed 17-Aug-11 20:27:33

hi BelleEnd

I hope this helps

[http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/supporting-you/factsheets-and-leaflets/~/media/Files/Factsheets/Ears%20and%20ear%20problems/pdf/Menieres%20disease%20May%202011.ashx Action for hearing loss]

BeehiveBaby Wed 17-Aug-11 20:33:27

Grandad, Mum and me have all had it smile[waves]. Mum very severe when we were small but now only in times of stress. Mine is kept in control with no booze, stress and enough sleep but I have also heard of people having to cut out salt and caffiene.

When I have really burnt the candle at both ends I have found myself clinging to the bed convinced I would be thrown off were I to let go and lurching down the street as if walking through one of those rotating tunnels.

BeehiveBaby Wed 17-Aug-11 20:34:57

PS I can't drive but am interested in what your doctor says. My mum has had an unexplained serious car accident but it never occured to me that the two could be related.

BelleEnd Wed 17-Aug-11 20:40:26

Thanks for the replies.

Doc was nice and gave me more tablets, which do help. Also said that if I suffer in the morning not to drive that day (it's always worse in the morning for me)

Interesting about the alcohol connection, as I've only just clicked that this is a major trigger for me. I have been busy and stressed recently, and just before I blacked out in the car I was thinking over a very stressful problem. I never knew stress could be a trigger.

Thanks again, all smile

bagelmonkey Thu 18-Aug-11 13:51:44

My dad was also told to avoid MSG, coffee and stella Artois.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now