Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help my little boy has just stood on a rusty nail!

(4 Posts)
lisaneedsarest Tue 16-Aug-11 15:58:52

What do I need to do? He is just 4, was playing out in the field behind our garden and stood on a rusty nail hanging out of a bit of wood. It went through his crocs and into his foot, it is bleeding but not seriously. Do I need to get it checked out at A&E (do they still give a tetanus for this?)
I've got 2 other younger ones to drag along ao want to do the easiest thing - but obviously want him to be safe - he's crying lots at the moment but he is a big girls blouse so that's not necessarily a guidance to how much it hurts!

SenoritaViva Tue 16-Aug-11 16:48:44

Call NHS direct but yes he will need a Tetnus jab - it's just that they may advise he gets it at the GP.

cakesandale Tue 16-Aug-11 16:51:05

Tetanus jab is absolutely vital if he has not already had one. Sorry. The GP or walk in centre can do this though. It also needs a bloody good clean which can be difficult for a non-medic if it is deep. They'll have all the kit that is needed, and the right techniques.

Don't delay. I don't want to worry you, it will be fine as long as you get on with it.

lisaneedsarest Tue 16-Aug-11 17:15:55

thanks, we're at a&e now, called dr's and they didn't have anyone on that could give a jab. Hopefully we'll be seen soon and can go home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now