Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Weaning cures colic? Surely not?...

(8 Posts)
bobsmum Fri 17-Oct-03 13:58:28

I posted a while ago about my nephew. He was 5 weeks prem. SIL was given crap "advice" re bf and ended up bottle feeding. I found out she'd introduced solids at 9 weeks (adjusted age = 4 weeks) and was very surprised. She and the whole of dh's family have various allergies (hayfever/pet allergies/mild asthma etc).

It turns out, she was actually advised by her GP to wean her ds at 8/9 weeks in order to cure his colic! Is this standard practice - surely this can't be right when the recommended age to introduce solids is now 6 months? Has she been ill-advised *again*?

boyandgirl Fri 17-Oct-03 14:41:01

Was this in the UK? It seems very strange advice to me.

lucy123 Fri 17-Oct-03 14:43:50

I've heard of people being advised to wean from breast to bottle to cure colic - is it possible your SIL misunderstood (and the doc didn't know she was bottle feeding? )

bobsmum Fri 17-Oct-03 15:19:07

This is in the UK. SIL was definitelt told to wean onto solids - ie start with baby rice, fruit puree - the usual.

Will see her this weekend and find out more. I can only think her GP must be a bit of a dinosaur?

boyandgirl Fri 17-Oct-03 15:28:02

Prehistoric! How old is your dn now? And has your sil spoken to any other 'advisers'? I'm sure the NCT would be able to point her in a better direction - they're not just for breastfeeding mums.

There's so much that can help (if not necessarily cure) colic: routines, different teats, fennel tea, massage, cranial osteopathy, changing formula, changing feeding position, winding... Some people think that colic may be a result of an immature bowel, so challenging it with solids would be a dreadful thing to do, especially if there are already allergies in the family.

dinosaur Fri 17-Oct-03 15:30:02

don't be dissing us dinosaurs, now!

but I agree, sounds like weird advice, very odd

bobthebaby Sat 18-Oct-03 07:29:59

Sounds like an excuse to me, saying the doctor told her so so she won't be judged.

boyandgirl Mon 20-Oct-03 20:17:30

I wouldn't be so sure - who would want to get into the hassle of solids before they'd barely settled down with the newby? Some GPs do give strange advice: at my old surgery, the practice nurse and the GP both advised me to give ds brown sugar for his constipation at less than 3m old, but when I mentioned this to the HV she nearly went through the roof 'You mustn't do that! It's old-fashioned, prehistoric advice! I'll talk to the Dr myself!' Needless to say I didn't tell her that I'd already used an old-fashioned remedy and given him sugar water in a dummy as pain-rleief for his vaccinations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: