Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diabetes or something else?

(8 Posts)
Lorelai Mon 15-Aug-11 18:18:12

Dh went to the GP recently as he has various symptoms which were worrying me him, and she has sent him for a blood test. No appointments for that until next week, so in the meantime I am worrying wondering what it might be. Any ideas based on these symptoms?

Weight loss (1-2 stone in a few months)
Increased appetite (still hungry immediately after a large meal)
Tiredness (although that may be partly due to having an 8 month old who still wakes 2-4 times a night)
Thirsty/weeing a lot

To me the obvious answer seems to be diabetes, and his older brother developed it at pretty much the same age (41). But is there anything else it could be? GP also mentioned thyroid, but over-active thyroid wouldn't cause tiredness and under-active wouldn't cause weight loss. He said the GP also mentioned something else but he can't remember what.

Mandy2003 Mon 15-Aug-11 22:41:34

Does his brother live nearby, or do either of you have any diabetic friends? If so, ask if you can use their blood sugar test meter. A non-diabetic's blood sugar should be in the range of 5.0 to 7.0 on the meter, higher than that would be cause for suspicion. Good luck getting him sorted!

Lorelai Tue 16-Aug-11 07:47:22

No, his brother lives about 45 mins away, but I have actually never met him! (about 15 year age gap, were never close as children, no big reason for it, just not close), and I don't know anyone else who is diabetic. Just got to wait for the blood test I guess.

debinaboat Tue 16-Aug-11 12:34:38

most chemists will do a blood sugar test.will be done in minutes.

jennymac Tue 16-Aug-11 13:52:14

Sounds like diabetes to me also. Both my dad and two of my brothers are type 1 diabetes and they displayed most of these symptoms. Strange the doctor didn't do a blood sugar test straight away as it can be pretty dangerous if his blood sugars are high.
How much would you say he is drinking?

It is strange that the GP didn't just do a finger prick test to check his blood sugar. You should be able to get one done at a pharmacy (try one of the bigger ones like Lloyds or boots). Failing that you would be able to buy your own monitor from a pharmacy.

Lorelai Tue 16-Aug-11 16:32:03

Yes, I am also surprised she didn't test then and there hmm Ironically, he originally wanted to just go to the pharmacy for a test but I convinced him to go to the GP instead as if it wasn't diabetes he would need to go to the GP, and if it was he still would anyway, so might as well skip that stage and go straight to GP.

Difficult to say how much he drinks at work (and probably not masses as he works in a supermarket so can only drink on his breaks), but when he is home in the evening he can easily go through 3 pints of squash in a couple of hours. He feels himself that he is drinking more/always thirsty, and also that he is weeing a lot more frequently than normal.

whyme2 Tue 16-Aug-11 16:57:36

Sorry but it does sound like diabetes but I am NOT a doctor. My dh has diabetes and has been diagnosed for approx 6 years now. He went through a period leading up to his diagnosis when he was incredibly tired ie came home from work at 5 and went to sleep, only waking for large drinks of squash and frequent toilet trips. He was extra hungry, then started being sick and had wobbly vision in the end before I finally convinced him to go to his gp for a check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now