Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Only want sex mid-cycle each month. Anything I can take to help?

(8 Posts)
cornishpasty Mon 15-Aug-11 17:56:32

Title says it all really. I'm really not interested in sex apart from a few days mid-cycle each month.
I came off the pill about 5 years ago as dp and me were hardly having sex and I really couldn't be bothered with taking it after years and years of doing so. We now use condoms.
Our relationship is generally better now and I'm much more interested in getting our sex life back on track. But saying that I can't get interested unless I'm mid cycle.
Since coming off the pill I gradually started suffering from PMT, which I never have before, and my cycle can vary from 25 to 35 days. I used to be very regular.
I'm 40 in a few months and wondered if there was anything I could take to balance things out a bit.
For those few days each month I find myself thinking about sex all the time, then I can wake up the next day and not want dp anywhere near me.
Sorry for the long ramble.

tasmaniandevilchaser Mon 15-Aug-11 17:58:00

sounds like me - feel frisky when I ovulate. Sorry that's not much help.

cornishpasty Mon 15-Aug-11 18:08:37

Yep that's me. Very rampant and then 'bugger off don't come anywhere near me' for 3 weeks!

BodyUnknown Mon 15-Aug-11 18:37:37

Same here. Watching with interest! Can't stand the thought of sex (or any physical contact) apart from 3 or 4 great days mid-cycle when I am insatiable and think about it constantly. I'm not on the pill/implanon/mirena etc either so can't blame contraception.

But, I've only been like this since I had DD 13 months ago. Before then, although not exactly rampant all the time, I could be encouraged into friskiness without much trouble at any time of the month. I'm sure pregnancy hormones should be gone by now, so I just conclude that my body has undergone some kind of seismic shift which has affected my sexual responses. Part of the reason for my posting name smile

cornishpasty Mon 15-Aug-11 18:59:19

Pregnancy hormones well and truly gone here - youngest dc is 9.
I never used to be like this either. It's such an extreme swing from detesting the idea to being unable to think of anything else!

cornishpasty Tue 16-Aug-11 22:14:11

Well we've no answer yet -anyone got any ideas?
Is the only way to balance my hormones by taking the pill?
Any natural remedies that could help or maybe diet change?

rabbitstew Wed 17-Aug-11 00:14:27

Won't going back on the pill risk diminishing your interest to nil days a month, if you are actually only interested when you are ovulating?! You could try Evening Primrose Oil - isn't that supposed to help regulate hormones? And ensuring you get plenty of exercise, sleep, a good diet and don't drink too much alcohol (albeit one glass might help!...). Is there anything that particularly puts you off sex when you aren't ovulating? Sometimes it can be silly, niggly things that are quite easily changed that can be enough to put you off altogether when you weren't really in the mood to start with, and if you change those, you might be surprised how quickly you can be put in the mood for sex after all, despite inauspicious beginnings.

mizu Wed 17-Aug-11 16:01:46

I get like this too. Basically i just make an effort the rest of the month wink which can be a bit of a pain to start with but usually get into it. However when i am pre-menstrual I really cannot be arsed and don't even want DH near me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now