Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have to have a mammogram and ultrasound tomorrow.

(18 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Mon 15-Aug-11 16:37:48

Can anyone tell me what I need to know/wear please?

Elibean Mon 15-Aug-11 16:48:08

Anything at all - you'll probably be given a hospital gown to change into, and be naked underneath from the waist up. At least, thats what I always do for my mammos and ultrasounds smile

Mammos are slightly uncomfortable, but very quick - and the ladies who do them have always, IME, been lovely. THey basically squish your boob twice, and take photos while you hold your breath (so as not to move). If its uncomfortable, I find counting backwards from ten helps - its always finished by the time I get to 2 or so!

They ask you to wait so they can check the x-rays are clear, and if not (eg if they didn't position you properly) they ask to re-do one. But thats fairly unusual.

Ultrasounds are totally painless, they just smear you with jelly stuff and slide the u/s wand over your breast, and up into your armpit, whilst the radiologist watches the screen. If its a doctor doing it, they will probably reassure you straight away - if its a radiographer, they may have to pass assessment on to a doctor to tell you, so don't worry if they say nothing.

Good luck FAB, seems a long time ago you were given the apt - imagine it will be good to get them over and done with.

TheOriginalFAB Mon 15-Aug-11 16:58:03

I asked a friend last week and she said I wouldn't be told anything tomorrow but checking my diary I am seeing the hsopital doctor in 2 weeks so not too long to wait for the results. Thanks.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 07:51:39

I am scared.

hugeleyoutnumbered Tue 16-Aug-11 08:01:32

you will be ok, the staff are always lovely, have had an ultra sound myself, it shows more detail than the mamogram, thinking of you hope all goes well

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 09:19:46

I need to go and get ready and I just feel sick.

Elibean Tue 16-Aug-11 09:48:40

Of course you do....give yourself a hug and go do it. You'll feel much better afterwards, I promise.

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 09:50:36

I had this a couple of months ago. Honestly, the most awkward thing for me was (at the first appt) not seeing the gown and wandering around the clinic with my norks boinging around.
Fingers crossed for a favourable outcome for you.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 13:06:25

They were running late so it was 45 minutes later than my appointment before I went in but that was fine. I had the mammogrma and then had to wait and then go and have it done again. I then had the ultrasound and that was done on both breasts as the doctor was worried about something. All was okay though.

I was looking a bit stressed and this womnan asked me if I was okay and I cried, then again in the ultrasound room.

I have to pick the kids up in 4 hours and I just don't want too. I don't want to see my inlaws at all.

kittensliveupstairs Tue 16-Aug-11 13:10:42

See, it's done now, you can relax. Well done you.

cakesandale Tue 16-Aug-11 13:14:05

FAB, it is hard, but you have done it now. Well done. Spend the next four hours doing something really nice that is just for you. A walk can help, and I speak as someone who isn't much on walking. The fresh air and exercise can give you a new perspective.

You'll have your results asap, and either way that will be better than all this waiting and worrying that you have been doing.

Take it easy.x

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 13:22:45

I am watching the news and then I am going to have a sleep I think. I want to do fun stuff but too tired.

Elibean Tue 16-Aug-11 13:37:38

Well done, FAB. How long to wait till results?

cakesandale Tue 16-Aug-11 13:38:40

The stress is very draining. You'll be knackered all day now sad

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 13:40:02

The nurse said she thinks all is okay or else the doc woud have done a biopsy so just wait to see if I have to go for the follow up appointment.

cakesandale Tue 16-Aug-11 13:44:17

That sounds hopeful. I have to say I had my biopsy done at the same time so what she said sounds sensible. smile

Elibean Tue 16-Aug-11 13:44:24

Hurrah! Good news, then smile

But yes, you will be knackered - very draining. Hope you get some rest.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 13:46:01

Thank you smile.

I am going for a sleep now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now