Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mid cycle spotting/bleeding...?

(14 Posts)
CookieRookie Mon 15-Aug-11 16:32:30

Hi

I'm hoping someone can put my mind at rest. I'm 33 and have never had mid cycle spotting in 20 years until today.

A little background - We've been ttc for 4 years. Ectopic over 2 years ago and my left tube was removed. Finally been diagnosed with unexplained infertility and am due for exploratory laparoscopy (sp?) in the next few months. They're checking my hormones this month too.

I had a regular heavy period, cd 1 on the 1st of this month so today is cd 15 of a 26 day cycle. I woke this morning with stabbing pain and af type cramping. I couldn't sit at one stage because of the stabbing pain. TMI alert - I felt like a knife was inside my vagina and when I went to the bathroom I had a brown and red bloody discharge. It was mixed with ewcm which is normal for me at ov time but never the blood. Though I wish it was implantation bleeding I know realistically it is not as it's only day 15 and we only dtd once this month on the 13th. I havn't had a smear in over 10 years but after talking to my gp today I'm having one on monday.

She suggested it could be ovulation bleeding and tried to calm me down but I'm still in a panic. I've never had ov bleeding and that coupled with the fact I havn't had a recent smear is really frightening me.

I don't really know what I want hear or how anyone can allay my fears. I'm just scared and am hoping someone else has had this ov bleeding without a history of it.

TIA

CookieRookie Mon 15-Aug-11 20:06:52

Bump for the evening

The bleeding is more bright red just short of free-flowing now but still not like a period.

Hope someone can help

TIA

Tourelles Tue 16-Aug-11 20:06:24

Cookie - I'm going through the same thing, month two months of mid cycle bleeding, went to dr, very blase about it all, now have had had bloods for hormones and a smear test( last one 2.5yrs ago was fine). Have been referred for an ultrasound too.

Still have been googling and have diagonised myself with the worst outcome.

Bloody google. Am beside myself. Let me know how you are getting on (hug)

ClaireDeLoon Tue 16-Aug-11 20:25:44

Hi

You've done the right thing getting the smear organised as a starter. And because you've had so many fertility investigations I'm sure they've had a good look at your womb lately either by ultrasound or by hysteroscopy so I wouldn't get too stressed that there is something amiss there.

I am 39 and started with mid cycle bleeding initially 3 years ago so at 36. Like you it coincided with ovulation.

I had swabs for infection/stds and exam at GP and then referral to Gynae consultant. There in had further exam, repeat smear and a detailed scan. It stopped of it's own accord and was described by my consultant as 'common in women your age'.

I also had mid cycle bleeding in my 20's and it was purely due to stress, you're going through a stressful time so don't underestimate what that can do.

Lots of luck to both of you in getting this sorted.

CookieRookie Tue 23-Aug-11 14:25:59

Hi, sorry I didn't come back before now. I've just found out I'm pregnant and it's all very much in the air at the moment with ectopic history. I'm using my phone as dh has the laptop so have to keep this post brief but will come back again. Sorry if I've used text speak anywhere.

RitaSkeeterNeedsANewJob Fri 26-Aug-11 09:11:49

Hi Cookie - hope you are doing ok.

Just found this thread as I've started bleeding mid cycle this month as well - out of the blue. Have GP appointment this morning, but am very worried. sad

youarekidding Fri 26-Aug-11 09:18:11

cookie congratualtions, I hope all works out for you.

rita I had day 9 of cycle pain and 'pink discharge' this month. It felt like period cramps - odd as I don't get them with period. I was wondering if I should be worried so will be watching this thread.

RitaSkeeterNeedsANewJob Fri 26-Aug-11 10:58:37

Quick update - GP quite relaxed and said to keep an eye on it over next month or so, but it's not unusual or too worrying as a one off with no other symptoms (and had clear smear test last year). Still worrying though...

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 26-Aug-11 18:27:26

Good luck with that RitaSkeeter.

Have had the same problems....apparently it's very very common! (but any change is obviously worrying).

Let us know how you get on?

CookieRookie Fri 26-Aug-11 18:59:36

Hi again, finally have the laptop back! Using my phone was driving me crazy.

Thanks to all of you for replying and good luck to those of you still waiting for answers. What I have learned during this time despite not knowing what exactly is going on with me because I now have a bfp is that mid cycle bleeding is very common and can happen out of the blue for someone who has never experienced it before. There are a number of very ordinary reasons, ovulation bleeding, change in hormones etc but as always we are advised to go to the doctor to have it checked just to be on the safe side. Best of luck to all of you and thanks again for replying.

I've had my bloods done and unfortunately my hcg levels are very low and haven't increased as they should have done in 48 hours so it's not looking very positive but until I know it's over for sure I cannot give up hope.

Take care

ColdSancerre Fri 26-Aug-11 19:04:29

Cookie I hope that it is OK, everything crossed for you.

CookieRookie Fri 26-Aug-11 19:11:02

Thank you CS

RitaSkeeterNeedsANewJob Fri 26-Aug-11 20:18:20

Our bodies are strange things aren't they! Sorry you've not had better news Cookie - will be thinking of you.

Tourelles Sun 28-Aug-11 10:27:48

Hope all ok cookie

My update, smear all ok, blood tests showed increase of female hormone (or maybe decrease) the dr was unclear, and I stupidly did not ask questions, anyway he seemed to think it was indicating perimenopause, I'm 40, and trying to conceive so feel a bit down about the thought of that, still have ultrasound to go, and more blood tests to recheck hormones as they can change day to day...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now