Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ways to bring on AF

(12 Posts)
lauraloo09 Mon 15-Aug-11 13:33:11

Hiya i was wondering if anyone knows if there are any successful methods of bringing on AF? I have not had AF since end of March and it has been a nightmare ttc#2 I have been to the doctors and they keep saying just be patient it will come on. I had full blood work done last week still waiting on results but the wait is driving me crazy. I have done some hpt's and a few have came back with lines on them and a few are back as def negatives sad just wondering if there is anything i can take or even ask the doctors to do as I am now fed up sitting and waiting, should I request tests would that help?

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 15-Aug-11 14:00:05

Have you had a PT from your Dr? False positives are very rare, however, false negatives are far more common.

Obviously with you TTC I don't want to get your hopes up prematurely, but it may be very likely you are pregnant.

Alternatively, you could ask to try a hormonal/contraceptive pill, such as norethistarone or microgynon as the drop in progesterone when you stop taking these will act to bring on AF.

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 15-Aug-11 14:01:30

norethisterone oops!

TimeWasting Mon 15-Aug-11 14:02:38

If you've used the test correctly a + is +

How's your weight/BMI?

lauraloo09 Mon 15-Aug-11 14:11:55

doesitwearingwellies I was on microgynon until beginning of march and my last period was the withdrawal bleed from microgynon and had nothing since. I am hoping I am pregnant and have had some symptoms such as tingly boobs, flu like symptoms stuffy nose etc, nausea sleepless nights but putting this down to worrying too much about lack of AF ive not had a PT from GP but will be requesting one this afternoon at my appointment just hoping they can help me and I am going crazy with everything lol.

timewasting my weight is pretty high at 13stone 4lbs but I am very fit and most of my weight is made up by muscle weight (I do karate so very muscular) but up till a month ago I was 12st 12lbs so I have gained a lot of weight recently but not changed my diet any.

TimeWasting Mon 15-Aug-11 14:49:14

Stress and worry can keep AF away.

Your weight shouldn't be a problem, if you've no other PCOS symptoms.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

flimflammery Mon 15-Aug-11 14:58:59

So, you've had tingly boobs, stuffy nose, nausea, no period since March, recently gained weight and a couple of positive tests. Hmmmm...

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 15-Aug-11 15:07:09

Agree with TW that stress and worry can affect AF.

Fingers crossed for you that you are PG and good luck with the Dr later!

lauraloo09 Mon 15-Aug-11 15:08:26

flimflammery i've been going insane recently over this had a couple of very faint lines (wont go as far to say positive as poss evap lines) but also had a some very def negatives one this morning using a clearblue test lol cant even have a glass of wine to relax just in case i am pregnant lol just wait and see what the doc says this afternoon lol xx

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 15-Aug-11 16:25:29

Chase the blood test results from the GP; if you have not had AF since March the chances are hormonal imbalances are to blame. In this regard the blood tests should have been done to see if polycystic ovaries or thyroid imbalances are to blame.

What blood tests were done, do you remember what hormone levels were checked?.

Do not be fobbed off. Stress alone would not cause this to arise.

lauraloo09 Mon 15-Aug-11 19:28:10

attila went to GP this afternoon and they said all hormone checks were fine including thyroid and prolactin hormones all at right level. Also they did another PT which was negative as i thought it would be. I showed the GP the tests i got positives for and was told it was a faulty batch but theyve taken more blood for a blood pregnancy test so will get that back on friday. As this has went on since march she is also referring me to the Gyn Department at the hospital for further tests but not sure what this will involve so will just need to wait and see what happens over the coming months. does anyone know what the Gyn will be checking for?

shellmc Mon 15-Aug-11 21:23:27

Hello lauraloo09
Not sure if i will help but i seem to be in a simular position to you.
Had irregular bleeding for months and months on end.

I came off pill end of April- beginning May didnt get a proper period untill 3rd July! Over 8 weeks wait.
Had blood tests done after 6 weeks of stopping the pill, for various hormone checks, Prolactin, Lh, Fsh, Tsh, Testosterone and Shbg.
I already take medication for underactive thyroid, but also had high LH levels, which iv heard is a possible sign of PCOS????
Since that period iv had nothing at all since!!! Now 43 days since LMP, Feel tired, bloated, sickly and sore boobs but BFN on all preg tests iv taken!!!

Anyhow, i know you have said that all your bloods have came back normal, so cant be that, but you say your getting referred to Gynae, im getting referred to endocrinologist end of next month i go. Not sure what else if going to happen, but hopefully they can shed some light on as to where AF is??? I hope you get on okay and will be keeping an eye on your post to see what happens.
Thats if you dont get a nice Big Positive on friday. FX for you :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now