Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Food intolerance?

(44 Posts)
TheOriginalFAB Mon 15-Aug-11 09:43:27

When I eat pancakes, chocolate, pizza, bread, I either need to use the bathroom almost immediately or have stomach aches for a while. I have been tested for celiac disease but don't have it. Can anyone help me with what is going on please?

banana87 Mon 15-Aug-11 21:27:53

You may have an intolerance to wheat. It's quite common apparently. Do you get really bloated too? It may be worth completely cutting wheat from your diet for 4-6 weeks, see how you feel, and then slowly re-introduce it into your diet to see how much you can take.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 07:36:21

Can I be tested and is wheat listed as wheat on foods please?

banana87 Tue 16-Aug-11 08:52:14

I think you can be tested if you visit a dietician. Foods containing wheat are always labeled.

TheOriginalFAB Tue 16-Aug-11 09:29:18

Just had special k as nothing else in and I have to go out now so needed to help. Using the bathroom in less than 10 minutes confused.

nightcat Tue 16-Aug-11 11:40:17

no tests for wheat intolerance, just exclusion diet
We got rid of all cereals and don't have bread anymore, just occasional rice cake, otherwise plain real food (ie mostly unprocessed).

exaspomum Tue 23-Aug-11 15:46:46

You can buy food intolerance test kits. You prick your finger to get a little blood, which is tested for the presence of antibodies to the most common food allergens. Cutting down on sugar would definitely be worth a try. Good luck.

aliceliddell Tue 23-Aug-11 15:55:26

You can get an Elisa (?) test in alternative health places or heath food shops, cost C£30. Hold electrodes in each hand, substance put in compartment halfway round, if it breaks the circuit - you're intolerant. How I discovered wheat & coffee - same effect as you plus ravenous hunger. These are common culprits; also citrus, dairy, gluten. Brown rice, lamb, local/native fruit & veg

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 15:55:56

Why would I need to cut down on sugar if I have a wheat intolerance?

I don't add sugar to anything but know it is in lots of things already.

nightcat Tue 23-Aug-11 16:10:34

sugar feeds bacteria & fungi that grow on undigested/fermenting wheat/gluten so the reaction flares up more strongly

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Aug-11 16:13:11

but wheat intolerance wouldn't explain the chocolate... hmm

is it literally only those 4 foods? or other things too? can you eat pasta for example?

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 16:15:55

No, pasta doesn't like me either and I love pasta and really miss it.

I am fighting sleep at the moment.

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Aug-11 16:20:30

an easy way to see if it is wheat is simply to cut it all out for month or so.

see how you get on.

then re-introduce and see if you get symptoms.

aliceliddell Tue 23-Aug-11 16:27:37

you can get wheat free pasta and bread in most supermarkets. It's absurdly expensive and not very nice. Those are thefoods I've heard of, but no expert, so get better advice.

nightcat Tue 23-Aug-11 17:23:17

reaction to chocolate could be on account of sugar and/or fat content; wheat causes malabsorption of fats and anything that contains fat would slide down through the gut

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 17:24:37

So I will hav to take a break from chocolate as well. I am over weight and need to get my arse into gear really.

nightcat Tue 23-Aug-11 17:31:41

PS. Wheat free pasta is quite OK, not really that different

aliceliddell Tue 23-Aug-11 17:56:21

OK, nightcat, I am a picky sod; but I liked egg tagliatelle and brioche and Danish pastries. Intrigued by your knowledge of this nutritional information. The wheat thing hasn't caused any slidingin my gut unfortunately.

nightcat Tue 23-Aug-11 18:44:44

coz we are all differently susceptible - or not

it also depends how badly your gut reacts to wheat - if badly then you get instant runs, if not so badly, you get constipation

it also depends on how frequent and how much wheat you eat - gut tries to regrow the brush border when gluten is not around, but if you are susceptible and keep eating wheat frequently then it doesn't get a chance

basically, quick passage of poorly digested food suggests more damage

Best ever info on the wheat/gluten that I have found is on celiac.com, simply awesome

TheOriginalFAB Tue 23-Aug-11 18:54:56

Having our 3rd baby has really changed everything and my body hasn't been the same since.

mel2005 Tue 23-Aug-11 22:48:23

same here, after i had the twins (no 3 and 4) i have never been the same. i am gluten intollerent but did a celiacs test that came back negative. you can be non celiac gluten intollerent or your bloods might have given a false negative. anyway the only way to feel better if you do have a gluten intollerence is to go on a gluten free diet. i have lost over 1.5stone in 7 weeks, mainly due to the bloating, i am eating different foods but still have propper meals. i feel really great compared to how tired i always was, i was also really bloated and had a really foggy head. other things i would get were tinging down one side and pins and needles, alot of wind and feeling hungry even when i was full. but the worse thing was the tiredness, i would wake up after 8 hrs sleep and it would feel like i had never been to bed.
TBH isnt it worth trying? if it doesnt help then you havent lost anything. do look at the celiacs website as gluten is hidden in some foods like soy sauce. its also in some makes of things but not others (especially sauces) tesco do some good gluten free bread, cereals and sausages. good thing is you can still drink wine grin

TheOriginalFAB Wed 24-Aug-11 09:52:08

I have just had some rivita and now I have stomach ache.

My stomach looks like I am pregnant at times.

sad.

nightcat Wed 24-Aug-11 14:05:04

oh FAB, rye contains gluten sad

please get some ricecakes instead, you will be surprised how quickly the bloating goes once you remove wheat

TheOriginalFAB Wed 24-Aug-11 14:47:36

I have got some gluten and wheat free crackers and rice cakes. DH is having a yummy baguette for lunch and since I am having a miserable day, I am going to have a bit and then cut out all bready-wheaty stuff.

nightcat Wed 24-Aug-11 15:23:29

it's not hard smile once you start
a lot of people on celiac forum set the date to go gf and have a "last wheat supper*, with my ds I did it overnight as I so badly wanted to know if it would make a difference.. that was 6 years ago smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now