Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Shit, I have just found a lump in my left breast :(

(56 Posts)
2littlegreenmonkeys Sat 13-Aug-11 23:07:43

It's about the size of a 5 pence piece. Only noticed it today. I had taken my bra off to get ready for bed and the area felt sore, so had a feel round and felt this lump.

DH said he can feel it too, I have had a look at the area in the mirror and it is red and almost bruised looking and slightly painful/sore.

Going to ring GP on Monday to get an appointment. I am scared and trying my hardest to stay away from google!! Don't think I will get much sleep tonight.

Glendaisgrumpy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:11:21

Now then the important thing is that you've spotted it and are going to the GP.
It sounds like a small skin infection tbh. I had one in the upper part of one of my boobs once. Hurt like a bastard but easily sorted out. Breasts have lumps for all sorts of reasons. Try not to be too scared. There's every chance it's nothing scary.

michglas Sat 13-Aug-11 23:12:54

you are right not to google, the important thing is to get it checked and try not to panic (i know, easier said than done). Hope it turns out to be something minor xx

milliesmommy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:13:09

I found a large lump in my breast a couple of months ago and was the same as you very frightened. How long has it been since you have had a baby as apparently its very common for new mums to get cysts something to do with our hormones. I went to the Drs who referred me straightaway to the hospital - which made me even more scared to be honest but they were brilliant had mammogram and ultrasound and actually syringed it out there and then which I wasn't expecting. I'm sure you'll be fine but it's natural to think the worst x

milliesmommy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:14:56

Sorry meant to say my lump was also a bit sore and red at times.

monstermissy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:15:45

I have had 5 all turned out to be fine, ive had ultrasounds on them all, had some drainned and two have required surgery to be removed. NONE have been anything to worry about at all. Try not to worry x

2littlegreenmonkeys Sat 13-Aug-11 23:16:46

Thanks everyone.

Urgh it just scared the bejeesus out of me, thank god DH is home tonight. I have calmed down a bit now.

My youngest is 2 yo now so no recent babies. Monday cannot come quick enough for me right one TBH.

bagelmonkey Sat 13-Aug-11 23:17:16

v hard, but try not to touch. It will just get redder and more tender

2littlegreenmonkeys Sat 13-Aug-11 23:17:53

now not one. Sorry on iPad in bed still getting used to the thing!

2littlegreenmonkeys Sat 13-Aug-11 23:48:11

I want to keep checking it, don't know why. I wont though.

Going to try to get some sleep and put it out of my head until Monday.

Thank you xx

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 13-Aug-11 23:55:02

Ahhh, the urge to poke is cos you want it to go away and it was all your imaginationwink
Been there done that. Mine was a bruised sore feeling, armpit side of left boob. I had a panic. Posted on here. Got good advice. It was a cyst. hope yours turns out to be minor too smile

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 14-Aug-11 08:54:25

I do want it to be all my imagination.

My lump is also on my arm pit side of my left boob.

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 14-Aug-11 09:46:36

There is a really good OOH walk in centre local to me. It would be an over reaction to take myself off their today wouldn't it.

It is probably nothing, just a cyst or something.

<plans of full spring clean of house to take my mind off it>

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 14-Aug-11 09:52:05

imho I think you should go smile

follyfoot Sun 14-Aug-11 09:56:39

I wouldnt go to the walk in centre unless for example, it becomes an abscess today. You will probably need a referral which will be done by your GP and wouldnt be actioned until normal working hours anyway.

Easy for us to say put it out of your mind, but hang on until Monday and all the best smile

QOD Sun 14-Aug-11 10:05:16

good luck x

Elibean Sun 14-Aug-11 10:32:02

I would go, if you feel really anxious today - if nothing else, it might help get you through the next 24 hours smile

Another one here who has been through lumps and bumps and tests, and all fine. Its rare for a woman to get through life without some, at some point. Do stop poking it if you possibly can, or its bound to be red and bruisy!

And hugs and sympathy for the awful anxiety, I do know it all too well (and just saw breast surgeon on Friday, thus ending most recent bout of it - all well again, though I was convinced I had a rare form of breast cancer: it was a reaction to a bug bite).

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 14-Aug-11 10:38:36

I am going to get DH to go in the loft so that we can give it a good clear out, try and take my mind off it until tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Elibean Sun 14-Aug-11 14:33:21

Good move! A tidy loft is a good side effect of anxiety, much more productive than obsessive Googling blush

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 14-Aug-11 14:35:35

I had a lump biopsied the other day. I was seen within 2 weeks of going to gp, the hospital and consultant were wonderful and very reassuring. I haven't had results yet but they have (mainly) put my mind at rest that it's nothing to worry about.

HoneyPablo Sun 14-Aug-11 14:38:18

OP, I have been in your position and agree it is the waiting that is the hardest bit. I found a lump and had to wait until after the weekend to go to the gp. But once I did, it all got sorted very quickly. The hospital actually phoned me later that day and I had an appointment the next day for a needle aspiration. I did have to go back a couple of days later for a mammogram because the machine was broken. It all turned out to be nothing to worry about, but I was really impressed with how quick everything was done.
Good luck!

2littlegreenmonkeys Sun 14-Aug-11 16:22:43

Thanks everyone, I have actually calmed down lots now. The loft is almost all done shock,didn't realize we had so much stuff crap . Found lots of bits for my cousin who is PG with her first though so all good.

Thank you eveyone smile

2littlegreenmonkeys Mon 15-Aug-11 09:47:45

I have got an appointment at the Dr's for Wednesday afternoon. I naively thought I would manage to get an appointment today.

Glendaisgrumpy Mon 15-Aug-11 10:46:41

Imo they should be able to offer you something today? I'm sure you stressed the urgency - how did they respond?

2littlegreenmonkeys Mon 15-Aug-11 10:50:08

I did tell the receptionist that I had found a lump in my breast but she just said that Wednesday is the earliest appointment. I suppose I could ring for an appointment with the nurse, would that be okay or is it the Dr I need to see?

I am TBH quite scared, Wednesday seems a long way off to me right now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now