Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bleeding after sex

(6 Posts)
bigfathippo Thu 11-Aug-11 20:24:13

i was sterilised seven months ago and since then sometimes after sex i bleed should i be worried

lachesis Thu 11-Aug-11 20:25:41

There are a number of possible causes. It's best to see your GP or practice nurse for a smear test and a swab test and pelvic exam.

BelaLugosiinStripes Thu 11-Aug-11 22:21:48

Generally the GP or practice nurse will do a visual examination (i.e. have a look at your cervix) and probably take swabs, then investigate from there. They usually won't due a cervical screening test (or smear test) unless you're otherwise due for screening.
This is because it's a screening test - for people without any symptoms, so if you're having postcoital bleeding then it needs other tests.
Do make an appointment to see someone at the practice.

bigfathippo Fri 12-Aug-11 15:41:14

i dont bleed everytime i have sex and when i do its just a little spot.got an appointment on the 23rd to see the nurse im getting worried now

griphook Fri 12-Aug-11 16:44:54

hi don't stress to much I had this for a while, hav had lots of test and smears, then it stopped , they couldn't find out what was wrong, they think it might have been hormonal. I know it can be very scary

BelaLugosiinStripes Fri 12-Aug-11 21:32:51

Often the reason is because the cervical 'skin' is quite thin around where the endocervical canal meets the outer cervix (where the mucus comes out). This has blood vessels just underneath the surface, and get can irritated and inflammed easily, it will then bleed fairly readily if rubbed, bumped etc.
It's still best to get a HCP to check you out to be on the safe side. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now